July 10, 2013 WebAdvisor Email
Using W&L's WebAdvisor System
To: All new First-Years in the Class of 2017 and other students new to W&L
From: Scott Dittman, University Registrar
Date: July 10, 2013
Subject: Using W&L's WebAdvisor System
To all new First-Years in the Class of 2017 and other students new to W&L,
WebAdvisor is the secure W&L website for accessing your record and taking care of various online tasks. You can enter it from several different places on the W&L website (Quick Links, Current Students portal, University Registrar's webpage), logging in with your W&L network username (lower case) and password (case sensitive). If you want to create a bookmark, please use http://go.wlu.edu/WebAdvisor. .
Here is a quick overview of the key features of your WebAdvisor account to help familiarize you with the options under the Students menu. While you aren't required to do anything in WebAdvisor right now, you should begin familiarizing yourself with the links and some of the processes. Specific instructions for matriculation and registration will come later in the summer.
- My Personal Information/Matriculation: Annual check-in and "anytime" update to your personal contact information. Around August 1st, you will be able to matriculate online and proof your initial personal information (parent names, address, emergency contact, etc.).
- Student Information Releases (FERPA): Give permission for others to view or release all or parts of your student record (e.g., for faculty to write letters of recommendation, allow parents to talk with advisers or administrators about your record). Your W&L education record is protected and only you can authorize release of protected information as outlined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
- Holds and Registration Approvals: Restrictions and Approvals that will affect your ability to register for classes, request a transcript, view your academic course history online, or run a degree audit. Holds can be placed by various campus offices (e.g., health center, business office, library, University Registrar). Registration course approvals (e.g., faculty adviser, instructor consents, overload approvals, registration window open) are also viewed here.
- Academic Course History: Chronological list of all W&L credit, with grades and external credit awarded, along with your cumulative GPA, and total credits completed ("earned"). You can view AP and IB course credit awarded, transferred coursework and credits, courses taken on exchange programs, non-graded laboratories and tutorials (showing as NGR), repeated courses, and other notations.
- Degree Audit: Check your progress toward graduation. First-year students can see how they are progressing on their FDR requirements and use the "What-If" option to view requirements for any academic major.
- Grades by Term: Your 'grade report' with each term's courses, grades earned, and term grade-point average (GPA).
- My class schedule: Your registration for current and future terms up to the minute. Only current courses are displayed; courses you drop do not appear.
- My profile: A summary screen listing your home mailing address, phone number(s), current adviser(s), and any major/minor declarations. Your major will appear as 'Undeclared' until the winter term of your sophomore year.
- Outlook Class Schedule Import: After finalizing your term registration, import the class meeting times into your Outlook calendar.
- Enrollment Verification Self-Service: Print an enrollment verification (available after the first week of your first term) and view information about any student loans. This link takes you to the secure National Student Clearinghouse website.
- Test Summary: Results of any W&L placement tests you have taken, along with AP and IB test results which W&L has received. Admissions test scores (ACT, SAT, TOEFL) are also listed, as entered by the Admissions Office.
- W&L Course-Offering Listings: Course-section details for a term. Clicking the link at the course number or title provides additional details, including a link to the University Store's information about books for each class. Filter on the course type AFY to get a list of fall-term courses appropriate for First-Year students.
- Search for Classes: A different view of course offerings to search by subject, FDR, types like AFY (courses appropriate for First-Years) faculty, day, etc.
- Course Registration: The starting place for registration, with four separate links:
o Holds and Registration Approvals: Your current Holds and Registration approvals and messages
o Create Your Preferred List of Sections: Search for sections and add them to your Preferred List.
o Register and Make Changes: Register from your Preferred List or do drops and adds after registration
o Your Waitlisted Sections: Manage your waitlisted sections or register is a seat becomes available
You'll be learning about how to register for fall classes in the coming weeks, and you will actually register for classes during First-Year Orientation. First-Year students at W&L do not register for classes prior to arriving on campus. But you can start adding sections to your preferred sections "wish list." (Limit your choices; 100 or more will crash your account.)
- Generals Payment System: Use GPS to view and pay your University bill. Around the 15th of each month, an email alert notifies users when e-bills are posted their accounts. GPS is also where you can authorize others to view and make payments on your account. More information can be found on the Business Office web page at www.wlu.edu/x32692.xml or by emailing email@example.com.
- Vehicle Registration: If you are bringing a vehicle to campus, register it online before 4:30 pm on August 16, 2013, and save money. If you wait until matriculation, the fee doubles. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical help, if you unable to access or view your WebAdvisor account, call the Leyburn Library Information Desk at 1.540.458.4357 (HELP) or email email@example.com. WebAdvisor requires session cookies, so enable cookies in your browser for the wlu.edu domain.
Questions for the University Registrar's Office will be answered by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 1.540.458-8455. You might check our website first at registrar.wlu.edu , especially "Curricular Advice for New Students" and the Web catalog.
Washington and Lee University
em: email@example.com web: registrar.wlu.edu
tel: 540.458.8455 fax: 540.458.8045