Memorial and Funeral Services Policy
Recognizing the special attachment the Washington and Lee University community holds for the Lee Chapel, the Chapel's auditorium may be reserved for services honoring the recently deceased with the understanding that prescheduled University activities take precedence over such services.
Funeral Services are restricted to current or retired members of the University faculty and staff, as well as the current student body.
Memorial Services are restricted to the immediate University family, listed above, as well as alumni who have been living in the immediate vicinity (Lexington and Rockbridge County).
- Memorial Services for an individual cannot be scheduled if a service for that person has already been held in another venue in the area.
- The Lee Chapel auditorium seats approximately 400 people with additional seating for approximately 125 people in the balcony. The balcony is closed except in the case of an overflow crowd. Musicians and photographers may have access to the balcony during the service.
- Chapel chimes will not be tolled except in the case of the death of a University president.
- Restrictions listed under the Guidelines of the Policy for Special Use of the Property must be followed.
- A donation to the Lee Chapel Fund is requested for the use of the Chapel.