Spring Registration Specifics
Policies and Registration Details
Registration Changes (drops-adds)
The Spring Option
- The minimum academic load during the four week spring term for each student is four credits.
- Students may enroll in no more than one additional credit or one scheduled non-credit curricular activity (such as one PE skills course OR one applied music, dance or theater class OR directed study), with the provision that it not interfere with the schedule and obligations of the four-credit course.
- The maximum academic load for spring term is five credits, except for approved six-week courses. No other overloads or underloads are permitted.
- Students may also exercise the Spring Option
The Spring Option
The Spring Option allows students to use the spring term of their sophomore, junior and/or senior years to engage in an internship, service program, employment, travel or educational program that will broaden and enhance their collegiate education. The faculty offer this opportunity to encourage students to seek creative outlets not provided in the normal academic setting. Complete policies and details are outlined on the Student's Declaration of the Washington and Lee Spring Option form.
- Sophomores, juniors, and seniors may spend one or more of their spring terms off campus engaged in other activities, such as study at another institution (domestic or abroad), internships, employment, service opportunities, or travel.
- Seniors taking advantage of the Spring Option must have completed all requirements for graduation and are required to return for commencement.
- Unlike a Leave of Absence for fall or winter terms, the Spring Option does not require petition to the Committee on the Automatic Rule and Reinstatement.
- Notification of a student's intent to spend a spring term off campus under this option must be made on the required form and must be filed by the second day of Spring classes. Student register for spring option by signing up for INTR 995 and turning in the form.
- Students are responsible for checking their degree audits and maintaining progress toward degree requirements.
- Students exercising the Spring Option and returning must register for the subsequent term on the normal schedule.
- Students competing on an intercollegiate athletic team for which the season or playoff period extends into the spring term must be registered full-time for courses during the spring term.
Registration Changes (drop-adds)
- Some domestic spring-term course have an additional fee. Students are billed for these fees and instructors make arrangements for course transportation/accommodations/activities from course registrations. Those students who drop a section after March 1, 2013 will still be responsible for these course fees.
- The regular drop/add period is limited to the first two days of the term and takes place online through WebAdvisor. Waitlist offers end Monday at midnight.
- During the remainder of the first week of classes for the term, students may alter their schedules for 1-credit and physical education courses only, with the 1) permissions of all instructors, the adviser, and an academic dean (or the Director of Physical Education for 100- and 200-level physical education course changes), and 2) payment of a $100 fee.
- After the first week, any changes to the class schedule must also be approved by the Faculty Executive Committee, incurring a fee of $100 and, in the case of dropped courses, assignment of a grade of W.
- After midterm, any dropped course will received a grade of WP or WF as assigned by the instructor of record, regardless of the reason for the drop.
- After the first week of the term, students dropping a course which is being repeated will receive an F (see "Repeating a Course").
- No spring term class may be taken on a pass/fail basis.
W&L Study Abroad Classes
- Students usually sign up for and make deposits to W&L Spring Abroad classes in Fall, 2012.
- Students are still responsible to register for the course through Spring 2013 course registration in WebAdvisor.
- The deadline for withdrawing from a Spring Term Abroad 2013 course is by 4:30 p.m. January 15, 2013. If you withdraw by this deadline, you will forfeit the deposit of $250. If you withdraw after this date, you will owe the full amount of the program fee.