Waitlisting for a Course
How waitlisting works:
Add your name to a waiting list for any course section after the active course limit of the course is reached. If you are on a waitlist, this does not guarantee registration into that course or course section. There is no immediate or "automatic" process by which a student is registered into the course by the instructor; it is the student's responsibility to follow the waiting list registration process.
- You should still create a complete schedule with a full-time load.
- Once registration has opened and a course is closed, all students may add themselves to waiting lists for preferred sections.
- During class year registration windows only, if you are on a waitlist and a seat opens, you can drop off the waitlist and attempt to register into an open slot. There is some risk involved in losing your place on the waiting list and not getting the seat.
- Students can only waitlist on one section of a multi-section course.
- Students may wish to be placed on a waitlist for one of the following reasons:
a) enrollment caps by class standing (e.g. senior, junior) are being managed by the department and additional seats are made available as different registration windows open; OR
b) you may be on the waitlist because the expected course capacity has been reached and there won't be another seat available until someone drops the section.
Automatic Waitlist Processes:
- If a seat opens in the course and you are at the top of the waitlist, you receive an email that gives you a deadline by which you must go back into WebAdvisor, to "Your Waitlisted Sections" and adjust your schedule and add the course, or to remove yourself from the waitlist. If you miss the deadline, you lose the seat. If you do not want an offered seat, please remove yourself from the waitlist so it can quickly be offered to another student.
- Offers and deadlines from a waiting list also show up on your "Holds and Registration Approvals" screen.
- The process of offering seats to students on a waiting list will begin after all class-year windows have finished and continue throughout the term initial drop/add period.
- Be sure to check your email often if you are wishing for a seat in a class. The deadline is only 24 - 48 hours long.
- Waitlist offers are made Monday through Friday (no offers go out on Saturday or Sunday).
Screen Shots of Waitlisting Processes (scroll down):
Add to a Waiting List
Waitlist Offer by Email (also shows up on your "Holds and Registration Approvals" screen)
Go to Course Registration menu
Using the action box - "Register" for a waitlisted section or choose to "Remove from list"