Skip to:Main Content

Washington and Lee University

Washington and Lee University

Studying Off-Campus Right Now or Next Term?

What to do if you're studying off-campus right now and registration opens, or you plan to study off-campus next term and want to know what to register for.

Off-campus now during the W&L registration period:

Participation during the registration windows is optional, though it is certainly to your advantage to do so.

  • While you are away, if your registration window opens late at night or early morning hours due to time differences, you should make arrangements to have access to a computer to register during the coinciding U.S. Eastern Time window.
  • While you are away, if during the entire window, you are traveling or have no access to a computer to register during any of the seven hour window, you may contact the University Registrar's office for help (  Please note that staff can help to register you into classes of your choice, but there will be no overrides of conflicts, instructor consents, or closed courses, and registration will not occur prior to W&L office hours (8:30 a.m. U.S. Eastern Time).
  • If you're off-campus for fall term and still planning to be abroad for winter term - please read.  Often, student plan to go abroad and then for some reason -- health, financial, change of plans -- they want to return to campus.  If you register for on-campus winter term classes, your course choices remain active until we confirm you are studying away, at which time they are cancelled to open up spaces for others.

On-campus now and studying away beginning next fall or winter term through a non-W&L study-abroad program:

You should register for next term in W&L classes in case your non-W&L, study-away program falls through for personal, financial, or political reasons. 

  • Please register only for courses you would intend to take; registering for "just any old course" doesn't help you if you must return to campus, penalizes your fellow students who really need a certain course; and misleads the faculty who are trying to gauge real interest in a course.
  • As you are preparing to leave the country --- about two weeks prior to classes beginning here -- we will delete your on-campus registration and replace it with INTR 998, study abroad, or INTR 999, U.S. study off-campus, to indicate your appropriate credit load.

On-campus now and going on a W&L program (spring term abroad, internship, off-campus, etc):

You must still register for any course for which you want credit.

  • Even if you have met with the course faculty member or paid money to travel abroad, you must still properly register yourself for the W&L course.  Faculty or the University Registrar's office do not process a registration for you, and you must be registered to get credit.
  • For those students who complete a summer internship, you should register for that course in the subsequent term you are back on campus, but that credit must be above the normal fall term full-time load (12 credits).  You will need approval from a dean (Dobin, Bell, Peppers, or Straughan) for an overload.  See the overload process here.