Skip to:Main Content

Washington and Lee University

Washington and Lee University
Washington and Lee University Campus Image

Frequently Asked Questions

W&L Spring Term Abroad

1.  How do I get credit?

Students participating in Washington and Lee University's Spring Term Abroad courses apply and register for a program directly at W&L, and students receive credit for these courses as they would any other W&L course.

2.  When do I need to apply?

Programs for Spring 2016 will be listed on the International Education website.  The Spring Term General Information meeting is scheduled for October 13, 2015 at 7 pm. in the Stackhouse Theatre in the Commons.  Completed applications should be dropped off at the Center for International Education (CIE) office by 4 p.m. on October 22, 2015. After you are accepted into the program by the faculty director, you should submit a signed Agreement of Responsible Travel form along with a non-refundable deposit of $250 to the Center for International Education by December 2nd, 2015.

3.  How do I apply?

Request an application form for W&L Spring Term Abroad from the Center for International Education or download a form from the International Education website.  Application forms will also be available at the general information session.

4.  How much does it cost?

The cost will differ for each program. Prices will be available at the general information meeting and will be posted on the website.

5.  Does my current financial aid package apply to my spring term abroad program?

No. Because additional expenses will be incurred for Spring Term Abroad, additional financial assistance may be available for qualified students. Loan assistance is almost always available; students with demonstrated financial need may also receive grant assistance. All participants requesting financial assistance for Spring Term Abroad 2016 must notify the Financial Aid Office no later than October 22, 2015, and also verify that appropriate financial aid applications (Profile, FAFSA, etc.) are on file.

6.  What happens if I withdraw after I paid the deposit?

Once submitted, deposits are refundable only if the University cancels the program or in case of serious illness or grave emergency.

7.  What happens if I withdraw later?

Payments are non-refundable after January 15, 2016. Before that date you may withdraw and forfeit only your deposit. No payments will be refunded after January 15, 2016 unless authorized by special petition to the Committee on International Education through the CIE.  Uncommitted and recoverable portions of payments are refundable only if the University cancels the program or in case of serious illness or grave emergency.

8.  Do I need to buy additional health insurance?

All participants will be provided study abroad health insurance. In some cases, the third-party provider will obtain the study abroad health insurance.

9.  What if I don't have a passport?

Get one! You must have a valid passport for your country of citizenship.  It takes up to a couple of months to obtain a passport, so start as soon as possible. Your passport should be valid for not less than 6 months from the date of travel.

10.  Do I need a visa?

Each country has it its own entry requirements. You must check to see what the requirements are for your nationality. Allow a couple of months to obtain a visa. If you do not have the appropriate entry visa, you will not be allowed to participate in the program. Failure to obtain proper travel documents will not be grounds for refunds.

11.  Am I responsible to W&L policies while overseas?

Yes. You must comply with the University's academic policies and standards for student conduct. Should you violate any of these, you will be subject to any relevant disciplinary action.

12. What if I am a citizen of a country other than the United States?

You must be sure to have the appropriate paperwork required for citizens of your country. This includes a valid visa for entry into the country to which you are traveling. Be aware of the time you will need to obtain this visa. You must also be sure to have your I-20 signed before you leave on the program. You should also consider the immigration and visa implications/risks of travel on any particular Spring Term Abroad program and make sure there are no impediments to traveling out of the United States at that time.