Skip to:Main Content

Washington and Lee University

Washington and Lee University
Washington and Lee University Campus Image

Yellow Ribbon and Veterans Benefits

What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill pays up to the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition and fees.  The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program allows colleges and universities to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed that amount.  The dollar amount of the benefit received will depend on the student's enrollment.  The VA will issue payment directly to W&L.

Who is Eligible?

Only individuals entitled to the maximum benefit rate may receive Yellow Ribbon funding.  You may be eligible if:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months; or
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001; or
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran's service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

How to Apply for Yellow Ribbon Benefits?

Washington and Lee will provide Yellow Ribbon funding to seven undergraduate students and four graduate students for the academic year. These spots are filled on a first come basis.  If you intend to use your Yellow Ribbon benefits, please complete the Request for Participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program as soon as possible.   

After you are admitted, you can submit your certification documents to our office.  A separate application will need to be submitted to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to determine your eligibility.  If you are eligible, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility indicating you meet the requirements for Yellow Ribbon.

For more details on the program, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Other Veterans Educational Benefits

If you qualify for other veterans educational benefits, please notify our office.  You will need to initiate the paperwork with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.