Skip to:Main Content

Washington and Lee University

Washington and Lee University

Other Endowment Gifts

Endowments are perpetual funds that support the general academic program of the University. These endowments honor the donor(s) or persons designated by the donor(s), and these gifts are singularly and permanently recognized here as the official record of their generosity. The standard for named endowment gifts is set and periodically reviewed by the Board of Trustees.

The endowments given to the University since World War II are as follows:

The Dr. G. Ashley Allen '65 Student Research Grants Fund is a permanently endowed fund established by Dr. and Mrs. G. Ashley Allen, to provide on or off-campus summer research grants to chemistry, biochemistry and other natural sciences majors at W&L who aspire to careers in the chemical sciences, the health professions and other branches of the natural sciences. These grants will support a challenging research opportunity for the recipients with a faculty mentor at W&L or another University, with a physician or other medical professional in a hospital or medical research setting, or with a researcher in a commercial facility. Recipients will be selected in a competitive application process to include the submission of a project proposal. Additional grants will support students who have done sufficient research during the summer or academic year to create a presentation that is accepted for a national professional meeting. The fund will be administered by the Provost in consultation with chemistry and other science faculty and the Dean of the College.

The Walter H. Annenberg Endowment for the Performing Arts was established in 1990 by Ambassador Walter H. Annenberg to provide financial support for performances in the Lenfest Center for the Performing Arts.

The Antrim Family University Scholarship Fund, established in 2011 by Charles W. Antrim, Class of 2000 is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing unrestricted support to the undergraduate student financial aid budget as determined and administered by the Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, or his/her designee.

The Atlantic Richfield Corporation contributed in 1982 to the endowment for the Society and the Professions teaching program in ethics.

The Baldeck/Hollis Photographic Program Endowment was established in 2000 by a gift from William M. Hollis, Jr. '53 and his wife, Andrea M Baldeck, to enable the Art Department to add photography to the curriculum. It provides funds to equip and maintain the darkroom and meet other photographic program needs within the Art Department as directed by the Provost or her/his designee.

The Baldock Poverty Studies Endowment was established in 2000 through the estate of W. Henry Baldock III '39. This endowment creates a permanent funding source for the Shepherd Program for the Interdisciplinary Study of Poverty and Human Capability.

James M. Ballengee '48L contributed to the endowment funds in 1981.

The Anne and Edgar Basse Jr. Endowment was created in 1988 to support the varied activities of the University's special collections and archival programs in the Leyburn Library. Mr. Basse is an alumnus of the Class of 1939.

The John T. Bate II and Margaret Mitchell Bate Lectureship in Demography was created in 1985 by Dr. John T. Bate '19, of Louisville, Kentucky, in honor and memory of his parents.

The Charles T. Bauer Foundation Faculty Support Fund, established in December, 2007 by the Charles T. Bauer Foundation, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing salary support for members of the University faculty as administered by the Provost. It was established in memory of Robert F. Lindsey '76. Theodore W. (Ted) Bauer '74 is a co-trustee of the Charles T. Bauer Foundation.

The Harlan R. Beckley Endowment Fund, established in 2007 by an alumnus and Board of Trustee member in order to honor the founder of the Shepherd Program in the Interdisciplinary Study of Poverty and Human Capability, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing salary support for the Director of the Shepherd Program. This fund will be administered by the University Provost in consultation with the Director of the Shepherd Program.

The Harlan and Debby Beckley Internship Endowment Fund for the Shepherd Program was established in 2006 by the Board of Trustees of Washington and Lee to express its profound gratitude to Harlan and Debby Beckley for their exemplary service to the University during his year as acting-president. This endowment's purpose is to provide funds for student internships associated with the Shepherd Poverty Program as determined by the director of the Shepherd Program or his/her designee.

The Adrian L. Bendheim Jr. Physics Library Fund was established in 1963 by Mr. and Mrs. Adrian L. Bendheim Sr., family and friends as a memorial to this honored alumnus of the Class of 1942.

The Bennett Family Internship Fund was established in 2011 as a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for internship experiences for undergraduate students focused on entrepreneurship.  The award is administered by the Dean of the Williams School in consultation with the Johnson Professor of Entrepreneurship and Leadership.  The endowment is the gift of Harry and Mary Anne Bennett of Basking Ridge, NJ, and was given in support of Honor Our Past, Build Our Future:  The Campaign for Washington and Lee.

The Robert O. and Elizabeth M. Bentley Endowment for the Performing Arts was established in 2004 by a gift from Mrs. Bentley to enable Washington and Lee to present a major musical or operatic production at the Lenfest Center annually or to support other facets of the performing arts in years when such a production is not feasible. The first Robert O. and Elizabeth M. Bentley Musical Event took stage in May 2006 as a result of annual gifts for funding by Mrs. Bentley until the endowed fund was completed in 2009.

The Lizinka M. and F. Fox Benton Jr. '60 Endowment was established in 1998 by Mrs. Benton and Mr. Benton, an emeritus member of Washington and Lee University's Board of Trustees. This endowment is to support international programs in the Williams School of Commerce, Economics, and Politics.

The Irwin R. Berman '58 Family Endowment for Ethics is a permanent endowment at Washington and Lee University established in 2014 by Dr. Irwin R. Berman '58 providing general and flexible support for the Roger Mudd Center for Ethics. The Berman Fund will be administered by the Director of the Roger Mudd Center in consultation with the Provost. Dr. Berman established the endowment because of his belief in the importance of ethics and raising ethical awareness in undergraduate education, and in one's personal and professional lives, and from his perception of diminishing ethics and civility in society at large.

The John Roser Bestor '82 Library Endowment Fund was established by Mrs. Nancy Bestor in 1984 in memory of her son. Additional gifts have been made by other family members and friends. The endowment's purpose is to support library acquisitions in history, particularly African and Indian subcontinent history.

The Blackford Endowment was established in 2000 by descendants of Henry Jackson Blackford Sr. '17 to be used in ways, as determined by the President of the University, to preserve the traditions of personal honor and integrity in the University community. While a student, Mr. Blackford was secretary of the Student Executive Committee and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and Omicron Delta Kappa.

James A. Blalock '37L left a legacy to the University designated as endowment with the income to be used for Law School financial aid.

The Boardman Family Study Abroad Endowment Fund established in 2011 by James R. Boardman '65 and his wife Hsiao-lien is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing annual travel assistance to students who travel to East Asia for study abroad and internship opportunities.  The Fund is administered by the Chair of the East Asian Languages and Literature Department in close consultation with the Dean of the College and the Director of International Education.

John G. Boatwright '15 made a gift in memory of his wife, Mary Archer Glass Boatwright, and their son, Dr. Robert M. Boatwright, in 1981 for endowment purposes.

The Victor Roger Bond '56 Library Endowment Fund was established in 1999 by his two sons, Victor Scott Bond and Brett Neal Bond, in honor of their father. The purpose of this fund is to support the Washington and Lee undergraduate library's purchase of books and media related to sciences and engineering. Victor Roger Bond was devoted to furthering the nation's space exploration program through his work and teaching, spanning four decades at NASA, supporting companies and universities. His work on the Apollo guidance programs contributed significantly to our country landing men on the moon and safely returning them. Victor's family and friends also made substantial contributions to the fund.

The Borland-McDowell Teaching Fund was established in 2000 through a trust from the estates of Georgia O. and Leonard C. Borland '31. The fund supports the teaching efforts in any of the academic departments of the University.

The Bowman Endowment for the Lee Chapel was established in 1992 by Mrs. Mary Lee Bowman of McLean, Virginia. The purpose of the fund is to support the preservation of the chapel built by General Robert E. Lee, who was Mrs. Bowman's ancestor.

Frank Henry Brady '32, a retired research engineer with Anaconda, who died June 1983, left a testamentary provision to Washington and Lee University for the establishment of an endowment whose income is to be used to support and enrich the teaching of biology and chemistry.

The Irving B. (Buck) Bricken Library Endowment Fund was established in 2000 through the will of Mr. Bricken to provide funding for the general operations of the University's library system and the acquisition of materials and equipment.

 The Brookby Family Athletics Awards Endowment Fund, established in 2009 through gifts from Mrs. Harry D. Brookby, Mr. Harry E. Brookby '66 and Mr. Robert G. (Bo) Brookby '72, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support to the Department of Physical Education and Athletics (Athletics) for the purchase of the annual major athletics awards presented at its annual Athletics Ceremony. Income from this endowment will provide funding to Athletics to underwrite the costs associated with the purchase of the major departmental awards presented at the annual athletics awards ceremony. This fund will be administered by the Director of Athletics or her/his designee.

The Brookby Family Athletics Awards Ceremony Endowment Fund, established in 2009 through gifts from Mrs. Harry D. Brookby, Mr. Harry E. Brookby '66 and Mr. Robert G. (Bo) Brookby '72, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support to the Department of Physical Education and Athletics (Athletics) for its annual Athletics Awards Ceremony. Income from this endowment will provide funding to Athletics to underwrite the costs associated with the annual athletics awards ceremony, including the meal provided to invited guests. This fund will be administered by the Director of Athletics or her/his designee.

The Brown Foundation Teaching Fund in the Ernest Williams II School of Commerce, Economics and Politics was given in 1981.

The L. Palmer Brown '30 Endowment, for general purposes, was created in 1979.

The Robert G. Brown Fund for Faculty Salary Support in the Williams School was established in 1979 by Robert G. Brown '49 to honor the 40-year teaching career of the late Lewis K. Johnson, Professor of Administration, Emeritus, on the occasion of the 30th Reunion of the Class of 1949.  The Fund is administered by the Provost in consultation with the Dean of the Williams School.

The William H. Brown Endowment, Class of 1902L, was created in 1981 when Washington and Lee University was the beneficiary of the Brown estate.

The Philip M. Browne '82 Financial Aid Fund was established in 2003 by Philip Browne to provide support for undergraduate scholarships as administered by the Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid.

The William Buice Endowment for Early English Books Online Subscription Renewal was established by William Buice '61 to provide yearly licensure for Leyburn Library to allow students and faculty internet access to over 125,000 texts printed in England between 1475 and 1700.

The J. Paul Bumgardner '27L Endowment was established in 1993 by bequest of Mr. Bumgardner and is to be used for general purposes of the University.

The Thomas G. and Pamela J. Burish Endowment Fund was established in 2003 by President Thomas G. Burish and Pamela J. Burish. President Burish served as the 24th President of Washington and Lee University from 2002 until 2005. Pamela J. Burish served as an adjunct instructor in the Teacher Education Program. This endowment was further defined in 2005 to reflect President and Mrs. Burish's commitment and support for Washington and Lee's Teacher Education Program. The Burish Fund will support activities at the discretion of the program's director.

William O. Burtner '17, '21L, and his wife, Marceline G. Burtner made separate unrestricted bequests in 1989 and 1990. Mr. Burtner's bequest was added to a special endowment to support the University's Leaders in Law and Commerce Program. Mrs. Burtner's bequest was added to the general endowment fund.

The Cadaver Endowment was committed by the "C" Society in 1981 to be designated as a residual fund in Cadaver's name.

Calvin Cafritz '52 gave to the general endowment purposes of the University in 1978.

The William M. Canby Scientific Equipment Endowment Fund was established in 1995 through gifts from the Estate of William M. Canby '52 '54L. The Canby Scientific Equipment Endowment Fund makes possible the purchase of new scientific equipment for the benefit of students and faculty members within the departments of physics, mathematics, chemistry, biology, neuroscience, geology and computer science. Awards from the Canby Fund will be made annually by the Dean of the College.

The Darrold A. and Kay Cannan Jr. Endowment for Campus Preservation was created in 1995 by Darrold A. Cannan Jr., Class of 1953, for the purpose of assisting the University in maintaining and restoring, when necessary, its National Historic Landmark campus buildings, and to support the University's beautification efforts by the planting of trees and shrubbery.

Dr. Gustave Benz Capito, Class of 1899, shortly before his death in October 1960, created The Robert E. Lee Research Fund, the income from which is to be used to encourage a program of undergraduate student research and faculty-student research seminars. This fund was supplemented in 1961 and in subsequent years by generous gifts from the Charleston Foundation for Research (established by Dr. Capito), to fund research by the "Lee Scholars" on campus.

H. Jackson Cary III '42 Endowment was bequeathed in 1982 to the University for general purposes.

Christopher Chenery, Class of 1909, estate designated the preliminary distributions in 1973 for endowment.

The Carter C. and Beverly B. Chinnis Endowment Fund, established in 2007 by Carter C. Chinnis, Class of 1949 Law, and his wife, Beverly B. Chinnis, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for an annual summer Alumni College program on American History as determined by the Director of Special Programs. This fund provides general financial support for these Alumni College programs, aids the University in being able to bring a noted authority to campus to participate, and supports one or more annual scholarships for secondary teachers of history or related subjects.

Class of 1936 Historic Restoration Endowment was established by the class in 1986 in honor of its 50th reunion. The endowment supports the restoration and care of the University's National Historic Landmark Campus.

Class of 1939 International Studies Endowment was established by the class in honor of its 50th reunion. The endowment supports an International Visiting Faculty Program and an International Student Study Program.

Class of 1941/William "Buck" Buchanan Memorial Library Endowment Fund was established in 1991 by the class in celebration of its 50th reunion. The purpose of the fund is to support the library acquisition program. In 2003, the name of the fund was changed from The Class of 1941 Library Endowment Fund to its current name in memory of William "Buck" Buchanan. Buck was a member of the Class of 1941 and a distinguished and highly respected member of the Washington and Lee University politics faculty from 1966 until his death in 2003.

Class of 1942 50th Reunion Endowment was created by the Class of 1942 upon the occasion of its 50th reunion in 1992, and is to be used to support high-priority academic needs of the University. Given with love, the only restriction is that the fund is to be used wisely. In consultation with his deans and selected senior members of the faculty, the President of the University shall determine the use of this fund, which may be changed from time to time as needs and priorities shift. The Class of 1942 name shall be attached to those programs or persons funded through this endowment.

Class of 1951/Thomas K. Wolfe Jr. Distinguished Lectures Endowment. This endowed fund was established by the members of the Undergraduate and Law Classes of 1951 in celebration of their 50th anniversary reunion and in honor of classmate Thomas K. Wolfe Jr., brilliant statesman of American letters. Tom Wolfe has brought distinction to the alma mater he has faithfully served as trustee, and through the international acclaim he has received as a journalist, bestselling author, and shrewd commentator on contemporary social customs. The purpose of this endowed fund is to bring to the University campus men and women of national and international prominence to give public lectures on topics and issues of interest to students and faculty in the law and undergraduate divisions of the University. Wolfe Distinguished Lecturers also will be encouraged to interact directly with students and faculty through small group formats in less formal settings.

The Class of 1952 Dean James G. Leyburn Endowment was established by the members of the Class of 1952A in celebration of their fiftieth anniversary reunion and in honor and memory of Dean James Graham Leyburn. James Leyburn served as Dean of the University from '47-55, when he assumed the role as head of the Dept. of Sociology/Anthropology which he held until '67. Dean Leyburn is remembered for his positive influence and by the men from the Class of 1952. This fund will provide support for the Shepherd Program for the Interdisciplinary Study of Poverty and Human Capability enabling the program to sustain its activities and efforts in providing invaluable learning and service experiences related to the pressing global challenges of poverty and the expression of human potential to W&L students.

The Class of 1956 Provost's Faculty Development Endowment.  This endowment was established by the class in honor of its 50th reunion.  This fund supports the time-honored traditions of small classes, personal attention, and a close relationship between students and teachers -- proud hallmarks of Washington and Lee University.  It was created to advance the work of the Office of the Provost in enhancing the quality of the University's faculty through assisting them in their professional and scholarly activities and through contributing to their growth as teacher-scholars.  Administration of this endowment will be the responsibility of The Washington and Lee University in accordance with University policies.

The Class of 1958/Farris and Judy Hotchkiss Alumni House Endowment is an endowment established by members of the class in celebration of their 50th reunion. Income from the fund is used to maintain the Farris and Judy Hotchkiss Alumni House and to support the programs of the Office of University Advancement, including development and alumni affairs. The President, in consultation with the Vice President for University Advancement, will have discretion to spend the income within the fund's two purposes.

The Class of 1960 Endowment for the Institute for Honor and The Class of 1960 Professorship in Ethics combines gifts made in celebration of the 40th and 50th reunions of the class to promote the understanding and practice of honor and honesty as an indispensable element of society.  This gift was made by the Class of 1960 in recognition of the importance of the Honor System to Washington and Lee and the impact that its underlying values had on their lives.  Its income supports a term professorship benefitting faculty whose teaching and scholarship include ethics, honor, integrity, honesty, and applications of ethical reasoning in addressing contemporary issues and one or more projects related to the professor's scholarship and research interests in these subjects. 

Class of 1962 Faculty Fellows Endowment was established by the class in 1987 in honor of its 25th reunion. The endowment supports scholarship and research and professional development of the undergraduate faculty.

Class of 1963 Scholars-in-Residence Program was established and permanently endowed in 1988 through gifts from members of the Class of 1963 on the occasion of their 25th anniversary reunion. The funds from this endowment enable the University to bring two or three outstanding individuals to campus each year for no less than three days each. The Class of 1963 Scholars-in-Residence are selected by the academic deans from nominations submitted by the faculty. The Scholars-in-Residence must be respected leaders from academic, political, business, or spiritual fields. Each Scholar-in-Residence delivers at least one public University lecture, makes additional classroom presentations, and participates in selected seminars with faculty and student majors. Some Scholars-in-Residence may also serve during their stays as research consultants to appropriate academic departments or individual faculty members. The primary purpose of the program is to enhance the academic and intellectual life of the University by immersing these distinguished visitors in all relevant aspects of teaching and research among the faculty and students at Washington and Lee.

Class of 1964 Endowment for the Arts was established and permanently endowed in 1989 by members of the class in honor of their 25th reunion. This endowment supports performing arts productions and the Class of 1964 Fine Arts Prize. The Class of 1964 Performing Arts Productions feature performing artists on tour. These productions are normally to be presented in the University's Lenfest Center for the Performing Arts. To be held at least annually, these major events may be in the realm of drama, comedy, music, dance, or multimedia format. The Class of 1964 Fine Arts Prize is awarded annually to a junior or senior. The recipients' names will be displayed in a public area of the Lenfest Center for the Performing Arts.

Class of 1965 Endowment for Excellence in Teaching
was established in 1990 by members of the class in honor of their 25th reunion. This fund annually provides special grants to selected members of the faculty in order to recognize and to promote excellence in teaching at Washington and Lee.

Class of 1966 Fellowship Fund was established in 1991 by members of the Class of 1966 in honor of their 25th reunion. The fellowship will each year support one or more professors who have shown extraordinary abilities and promise as teacher-scholars. Class of 1966 Fellows will be selected by the Dean of the College, in consultation with the President's Advisory Committee. Each year the Class of 1966 Fellow will receive public recognition at an appropriate ceremony or in publications of the University.

The Class of 1974 Rockbridge Area/Shepherd Summer Scholarship was established by the class in honor of its 25th reunion. The endowment provides financial support for students who serve in a Shepherd summer program in the local Lexington/Rockbridge County area.

The Class of 1975 Shepherd Poverty Alliance Summer Internship Endowment was established by the class in honor of its 25th reunion. The endowment provides financial support for students participating in full-time, summer service-learning internship programs throughout the United States and in Latin America.

The Class of 1976 Fund for International Studies was established in 2001 as a 25th Reunion gift to provide scholarship funds for students to strengthen their education through international study and service learning opportunities. This is a permanently endowed fund administered by the Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid.

The Lois Ferguson and Fred Carrington Cole Endowment was established in 1991 by Dr. and Mrs. Milton Colvin to honor Fred Cole, who served as president of the University from 1959 to 1967. The fund supports the University library. Additional gifts for this purpose have been made by family and friends of Dr. Cole.

The Dr. John Cole Law School Endowment was given in 1974 by his estate in memory of his brother.

The Congressional Shepherd Poverty Program Endowment is a permanently endowed fund derived from Congressional grants to support the Shepherd Program.

The J. Lawrence Connolly Endowment is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University established by Leigh and Larry Connolly '79 providing support for W&L student interns working in Atlanta through the Shepherd Poverty Alliance and administered by the Director of the Shepherd Program on Poverty and Human Capability. The Shepherd Alliance complements the academic components of the Shepherd Poverty Program through an innovative summer internship program administered by Washington and Lee University. The Alliance unites student interns from W&L and other member schools with agencies that serve impoverished persons and communities. Alliance interns experience hands-on learning about poverty by working with agencies seeking to improve their communities. The students supported by this endowment will be named Connolly Interns.

The Crawford Endowment Fund, established in 2007 by Andrew D. "Drew" Crawford '96, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for the Departments of Business Administration and/or Accounting as determined by the Dean of the Williams School of Commerce, Economics and Politics, and the department Chairs.

The Department of Biology Distinguished Lecturer Fund was established anonymously by a friend of the University in 1990 to provide support for distinguished biologists to visit the campus for short periods of interaction with faculty and students.

The Thomas Sheffield Donnelly Endowment was created in 1993 by Mr. and Mrs. Richard R. Donnelly for the general purposes of the University.

The Fran Drake International Studies Endowment was established in 2000 by Claire and Dwight H. Emanuelson Jr. '84 in honor of this longtime French professor and former chair of Romance Languages. Dr. Drake developed W&L's first foreign study programs and accompanied many students abroad during his 43-year teaching career here. The fund makes possible foreign study of Romance languages. Preference is given to students with financial need who wish to study in France.

Jessie Ball duPont Trust has made gifts for endowment since 1978. See "Historical Benefactions" for related gifts.

Pierre S. duPont gave an endowment in 1953 for the department of philosophy.

The Kelsey H. Durkin '14 Memorial Fund is a permanent endowment at Washington and Lee University established by family and friends in 2014 to provide support for internships and the curriculum of the Shepherd Program in the Interdisciplinary Study of Poverty and Human Capability. The Durkin Fund will be administered by the Director of the Shepherd Program in consultation with the Provost and Dean of the College.

The David G. Elmes Endowment Fund, established in 2007 in honor of Professor of Psychology David G. Elmes upon his retirement, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University that provides support for the Elmes Pathfinder Prize and for student research in psychological science, as determined by the Head of the Psychology Department. The Elmes Pathfinder Prize recognizes a rising senior who has shown extraordinary promise in psychological science or in the application of psychological science in the professions through outstanding scholarship in basic or applied psychology. Ingenuity, hard work, integrity, and commitment to the greater community are factors to be considered in making the award. The fund was created by contributions from the many alumni, colleagues, and friends who benefited from Professor Elmes' abiding integrity and commitment to learning during his 40-year career as a scientist, teacher, and mentor at Washington and Lee.

The Endowment for Leaders in Law and Commerce was established through gifts from the Law Classes of 1950 and 1965 and through bequests from Miss Frances Denny; Mr. William Olin Burtner '17, '21L; and Mrs. Lillian Woodley Norfleet. These generous gifts allowed the University to meet a challenge grant offered by the Arthur Vining Davis Foundations. The fund will support upper-level, intensive research seminars that will join both law and undergraduate students in the interdisciplinary study of law and business.

Mrs. Arthur Kelly Evans, in addition to previous gifts, provided in her will for Washington and Lee to annually receive a generous income from a residual trust.

The John M. Evans Fund for International Experiences, established in 2010 under the leadership of William M. Webster IV '79 on behalf of himself and other alumni and friends of John M. Evans, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University dedicated to encouraging and enabling W&L students to take advantage of international experiences regardless of financial circumstances.  Enhanced international opportunities could include but not be limited to study abroad, formal exchange programs, international internships, faculty-mentored student research abroad, a Spring Term course abroad and multiple international experiences that build upon themselves and offer a coherent sequence.

The Fernald Family Financial Aid Endowment Fund, established in 2006 by Mr. James A. Fernald III, Class of 1973A, and his wife, Elizabeth Wise Fernald, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing unrestricted support to the University's student financial aid budget as determined by the Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, or his/her designee.

The Fishback Fund for Visiting Writers was created in 1993 in memory of Margaret Haggin Haupt Fishback and William Hunter Fishback. Established through the gift of their son, William H. Fishback Jr., Class of 1956, the fund annually brings an outstanding writer to Washington and Lee to talk with students in the classroom and give a public lecture for the community at large. First consideration is given to inviting men and women-who have written with distinction about public affairs, nature and the environment, history, and the theater-all special interests of the late Mr. and Mrs. Fishback. The Department of Journalism and Mass Communications will administer the income from the Fishback endowment.

 The Ruth E. Flournoy Theatre Endowment was created in 1998 by Mrs. Flournoy as a departmental support fund in honor of her husband, Dan H. Flournoy '64, and her children, Sarah M. Flournoy '97 and John W. Flournoy '99. Return from this endowment annually supports visiting guest artists on campus, including teachers and production support professionals ranging from single performances to residential teaching/performing engagements. The person so engaged will be called the "Flournoy Guest Artist."

The Friends of Rockbridge Endowment Fund, established in 2007 by members of the Shepherd Program Alumni Advisory Committee and other friends of the Shepherd Program, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for multiple service activities that promote student involvement in Rockbridge County and surrounding areas through the Shepherd Program for the Interdisciplinary Study of Poverty and Human Capability as determined by the director of the Shepherd Program.

The Frueauff Endowment for the Shepherd Alliance Opening and Closing Conferences, established in 2011, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University dedicated to providing support to implement the orientation conference and the culminating conference for the eight-week Shepherd Alliance internship program each summer. This endowment was established by the Frueauff Foundation in support of the creation of the Shepherd Higher Education Consortium on Poverty, a collaborative effort to advance a sustained curricular and co-curricular education on poverty at member institutions. It is administered by the Provost in consultation with the academic deans and the Shepherd Program director.

The Cathleen M. and C. Douglas Fuge '77 Endowment was created in 2002. This endowment provides the Dean of the College with discretionary funds for use in meeting the educational needs of students challenged with learning disabilities.

The Cathleen M. and C. Douglas Fuge '77 Endowment for PRIDE was created in 2002. This endowment provides the University with additional discretionary funds to underwrite activities of PRIDE, an organization whose mission is to assist and encourage members of the Washington and Lee community in developing an appreciation for and interaction with diverse groups within the community.

The James Ware Gardiner '41 Endowment was established by Mr. Gardiner in 1976 through a testamentary trust and supports the University's general operations.

The J. Peek Garlington Endowment Fund, established through a gift by Ralph R. Burchenal, Class of 1954, is a permanently endowed fund supporting the R. E. Lee Research Scholars Program, with preference for students engaged in projects with faculty that focus on medical and/or human biological research.

The Ossie H. Gay Jr. '62L Endowment was established by the Board of Trustees in 1993 in recognition of Mr. Gay's generous unrestricted bequest. The fund supports the University's general operations.

The Dathel and John Georges P'16 Endowment was established in 2013 to support the highest priorities of the University. Earnings from the Georges Endowment will be administered by the President at his discretion until such time as a permanent purpose is agreed upon by the donors and the University. The endowment is the gift of Dathel and John Georges P'16 of New Orleans, Louisiana and given in support of Honor Our Past, Build Our Future: The Campaign for Washington and Lee.

The Arthur and Margaret Glasgow Endowment Fund was bequeathed to Washington and Lee in 1955. In addition to previous gifts, the fund consisted of the endowment sum, as well as an interest in the Arthur Graham Glasgow Trust to be known as the "Arthur and Margaret Glasgow Endowment in proud memory of Francis Thomas Glasgow and namesakes," the income to be used primarily to promote the art of expression by pen and tongue, including voice production and delivery.

John M. Glenn, Class of 1879, bequeathed a fund in 1950, the income from which is being used for faculty grants-
in-aid.

The John and Barbara Glynn Family Professorship was established in 2001 to fund annually a distinguished visiting professor who is an accomplished scholar and teacher, preferably one who brings new expertise to cover underrepresented areas of importance within the curriculum. The visitor will be in residence for an extended period, from at least two weeks to a full term. The professorship will be directed by the Provost. The endowment is the gift of John W. Glynn Jr. and Barbara A. Glynn in honor their daughter, Alexandra Glynn Rowe '92 and other family.

The Goldman Sachs Endowment for International Student Experiences (the "Endowment"). The Endowment will be used to provide students with financial need for various international opportunities including but not limited to study abroad, formal exchange programs, international internships, or faculty-mentored student research abroad. Use of the income will be determined by the Provost in consultation with academic deans and the Director of the Center for Global Learning and the students selected to receive support shall be chosen by the University at its discretion and in accordance with the University's financial aid policy, which may be modified by the University from time to time, and applicable federal and state laws. Recipients must be in good standing in all areas of the University in order to be eligible.

The Joseph and Eve Goldsten Endowment is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University supporting Washington and Lee Hillel and its programs and activities, and is administered by the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students or her/his designee in consultation with the Director of Hillel.

The Joseph Goldsten Departmental Support Endowment, established in 2010 by Charles Warren Lockyer III '93, Kirsten Baker Lockyer '93 and Frederick Johnson Turpin Jr. '90, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing for faculty and student support in the Williams School of Commerce, Economics and Politics.  The Dean of the Williams School will administer the Fund in accordance with policies and procedures set by the Board of Trustees.

The Claiborne W. Gooch III Endowment for the University's Computer Center was established in 1992 by Mr. Gooch, Class of 1950.

The Richard E. Gooch '30 estate in 1975 included funds to be used for endowment purposes.

The George W. Good '23 Endowment provided funds in 1981 for general purposes.

The Graybeal-Gowen Library Acquisitions Fund was established in 2007 by James T. Graybeal '49A '51L and his wife, Priscilla G. Graybeal, in memory of her father Howerton Gowen '30A. The Graybeal Library Acquisitions Fund, a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee, will purchase needed books and other information resources for the University Libraries as determined by the University Librarian.

The Robert S. Griffith, Jr. '52 Visiting Scholar Fund was established in 2006 by Mrs. Helen C. Griffith to sponsor distinguished visiting teachers and speakers in the areas of history, current events, politics, or business. Preference is for the lecturer or visiting teacher to be on campus for an extended stay, from at least a few days to a full term in order to benefit students, faculty, and the community through extensive interactions and teaching. The fund will be directed by the Provost in consultation with the Deans and the appropriate department chairs. The endowment is the gift of Mrs. Griffith in memory of her husband, Robert S. Griffith Jr. '52.

The George Edward Harris '23 Fund was established in 1962 through the will of Mr. Harris to encourage creative writing among students.

The Harris Family Endowment is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support to undergraduate students for international experiences related to the Environmental Studies Program, Washington and Lee Student Consulting, or other related purposes as determined by the Dean of the Williams School.

The Blanna Brower Harriss Endowment Fund was established by action of the Board of Trustees in 2008 in recognition of Blanna Harriss' great generosity to Washington and Lee University through a testamentary gift. The Trustees recognized this legacy as a gracious expression of her affection for the University. Funds from this Board of Trustees designated endowment support faculty compensation. This fund is administered by the Provost or her/his designee in consultation with the academic deans.

The Houston H. Harte '50 Endowment Fund was established in 1975 with generous additions since that time.

The R. Preston Hawkins IV Geology Award Endowment, established in 2008 by family, friends, and colleagues, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing financial assistance to a geology student conducting a field research project or working as a field assistant to a faculty member. The recipient will be selected annually by the Geology Department. The fund will be administered by the Geology Department Head.

The Virginia G. and Robert L. Hearne '29 Endowment was established by the Board of Trustees in 1993 in recognition of the Hearnes' generous unrestricted bequest. The fund supports the University's general operations.

The William Randolph Hearst Foundations Endowment for the Essential Opportunity Program provides funds to support undergraduate students from first-generation, low-income and underrepresented backgrounds, and is administered by the Vice President for Student Affairs.

The Hendricks History Major Stipend Fund, established by Mr. Nathan V. Hendricks III of Atlanta, GA and his mother, Mrs. Lee W. Hendricks, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing financial support for a W&L student majoring in History. The chair in the Department of History will manage the fund and will select the recipient of this stipend.

The Barbra B. and Hal F. Higginbotham Library Endowment was initiated in 1986 to provide financial support for the library program, particularly in the area of acquisitions. Hal F. Higginbotham, Class of 1968, and his wife, Barbra, are residents of New York City.

The James A. Hight Library Fund, established in 2013, from which the income is to be used for acquisitions and other needs of the University Library as determined by the University Librarian.

The Hillel Program Fund was first established in 2003 with a gift from Marc A. Schewel '69 with additional gifts added over the years to provide endowment support for Hillel activities at Washington and Lee University.

The William B. Hoofstitler Endowment Fund was established in 2002 by a generous bequest from the estate of William B. Hoofstitler, Class of 1936. The funds are designated for the University's general endowment.

Paul A. Hornor '31 in 1979 gave land, the income from which is to be used for endowment.

Woodson P. Houghton Endowment was created in 1991 as a bequest from this member of the Class of 1915. The income is used for general support of the University.

Dr. Aubrey A. Houser, Class of 1909, created the Robert E. Lee Endowment in 1972.

Houston Oil and Minerals Corporation made a gift in 1981 to be applied to endowment purposes.

The Philip Howerton Special Fund for Programs in the Department of Religion was established by Mrs. Philip Howerton in 1972 in memory of Philip Howerton '25.

The David Carlisle Humphreys Faculty Endowment Fund was established in 1995 through the Estate of Mrs. Elizabeth J. Neel and named in memory of Washington and Lee's esteemed professor of engineering and dean of the school of engineering from 1885 to 1921. Professor Humphreys was a devoted friend of Mrs. Neel's husband, W. Trent Neel. Awards from the endowment will be made by the Dean of the College to eligible faculty members whose teaching and research are meritorious of additional support.

Sidney Isenberg '42 in 1981 created an endowment for the benefit of the Reeves Center.

The Edward Jackson International Reporting Fund was established in 1994 by this graduate of the Class of 1945 who spent his early career as a United Press correspondent in London and Rome and further distinguished himself for 29 years with Time Magazine as an international correspondent and editor. The fund provides assistance to journalism majors for working experiences abroad and also regularly brings a professional-in-residence to campus. The Department of Journalism and Mass Communications will administer the income from the Jackson endowment.

The Robert McLean Jeter, Jr. Fund was established by a bequest from his widow, Katherine's estate to honor her husband, a member of the Class of 1941, with this named fund to support the general endowment of the University.

The Johnson Lecture Series and Symposium Endowment was established in 2008 as part of the Rupert H. Johnson, Jr. Program in Leadership and Integrity. The endowment will enable Washington and Lee to sponsor an annual lecture series or symposium on specific topics related to leadership and ethics facing leaders today. A faculty advisory committee will select a theme each year to create a high-visibility program which would bring to campus leading thinkers, scholars and writers to address that theme. Funds may be used to publish and distribute transcripts of especially noteworthy lectures. This program should enhance the academic reputation of Washington and Lee by helping shape the public and scholarly dialogue on issues of increasing importance in society and position the University at the center of many pressing questions in today's society. This endowed fund was established by a gift from Rupert H. Johnson, Jr. '62 in 2007 and is administered by the Director of the Johnson Program, who reports to the Provost.

The Johnson Scholars Summer Project Endowment was established by Rupert H. Johnson, Jr. in December 2012. The income from this endowment will provide a guaranteed summer experience for each Johnson Scholar. The summer award of up to $7,000 may be used, in one or more summers, to pay for the participation of a Johnson Scholar in a university sponsored program that involves internships, community service projects, faculty supervised research, international experiences, or individually designed leadership projects. Each Scholar will work with the Johnson Scholars director to develop a proposal for the summer experience. The student will explain in the project proposal how the experience will draw from an academic foundation while providing lessons for what the future may hold. The experience must provide the student an opportunity to develop insight into a leadership question, whether it is a question about leadership itself, or about a problem facing leaders in society. The Johnson Scholar will explain how the summer experience will enhance the development of his or her own leadership potential. Students will be encouraged to develop internships abroad so that they can gain an international perspective and witness firsthand how different cultures deal with issues of leadership and supporting society.

The annual stipend will be adjusted over time to reflect inflation and increased costs. A Johnson Scholar may pursue other support to provide summer experiences beyond the guaranteed Johnson Scholars Summer Project grant.

The Johnson Summer Leadership Experience Endowment is currently in a pilot-stage as part of the Rupert H. Johnson, Jr. Program in Leadership and Integrity and will be fully established in 2010-2011. All Washington and Lee students will be eligible to apply for a Johnson Opportunity Grant to support a leadership experience in the summer. These experiences may be based upon work which flows from an internship, but students may also apply to investigate an important issue related to their career goals, intellectual interest, or how different cultures address issues of leadership. The selection process will favor those student applicants who demonstrate creativity and initiative, and who can demonstrate that the leadership experience will build upon their academic work, shape their future plans and develop their potential. Approximately 30 students will be supported each summer. Participants will write a letter to Rupert H. Johnson, Jr. about his or her summer experience and what he or she has gained as a result. This endowed fund was established by a gift from Rupert H. Johnson, Jr. '62 in 2007 and is administered by the Director of the Johnson Program, who reports to the Provost.

The Christian A. Johnson Undergraduate Fellows Program was established in 1994 following the successful completion of a challenge gift. The program is to provide support for sophomore, junior, and senior students who are engaged in on-campus science research projects during the summer months. Selection as a Christian A. Johnson Fellow includes a 10-week stipend for summer living expenses in Lexington. Ten fellows will be appointed each summer.

The I-Hsiung Ju and Chow-Soon Chuang Ju Endowment for Traditional Chinese Art Studies, established in 2012 by Chow-Soon Chuang Ju, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for student travel to China or Taiwan to study the practice of traditional Chinese art studies in brush painting and calligraphy in either a University approved program or as an apprentice to an artist.  The endowment will be available to students interested in studying the history of traditional Chinese painting and calligraphy.  The endowment may also fund student travel to China or Taiwan to enhance his or her study of Chinese language and literature or to support a visiting professor or artist trained in traditional Chinese art.  The Dean of the College will administer the endowment in cooperation with the Department of Art and Art History and the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures.

The Right Reverend and Mrs. Christoph Keller '39 made a generous commitment in 1981, a portion of which was applied to the endowment funds for the Society and Professions program, and the remainder was applied to general endowment. A second gift was made in 1984 for the Hewlett-Mellon foundations challenge to create a Faculty and Curriculum Development Endowment.

The Christoph Keller Jr. '39 Library Endowment for Philosophy and Religion was established in 1996 by the estate of the Right Reverend Christoph Keller Jr., retired Episcopal bishop of Arkansas. The endowment's purpose is to assist the Leyburn Library with the acquisition of texts for students and faculty in the Departments of Philosophy and Religion.

S. Bryant Kendrick Jr. '67 Memorial Outdoor Fund. The Kendrick Fund was established at Washington and Lee University as an endowment in 2001 by the classmates and friends of Bryant Kendrick '67 to provide financial support for one or more students to have an extramural experience of self-examination and reflection through exploration of the natural world.

The John Fitzgerald Kennedy Memorial Fund was established in 1963 by an anonymous alumnus in memory of the late President.

The Emory Kimbrough Jr. Oxford Exchange Fellowship was created in 1987 by Benjamin S. Kimbrough in memory of his brother, Emory Kimbrough Jr., who died in 1987 while serving Washington and Lee University as Professor of Sociology and head of the department. Kimbrough Fellowships are awarded to Washington and Lee participants in the exchange with University College, Oxford.

The A. Paul Knight Memorial Program in Conservation was established in 1987 in memory of A. Paul Knight, a Washington and Lee student who was killed in Yellowstone National Park in June 1985. The program provides financial support to students who undertake internships with non-profit environmental and outdoor recreation organizations.

The Samuel Kozak, Edgar Spencer, Odell McGuire, and Frederick Schwab Endowed Geology Fund. To honor the memory of Dr. Kozak as well as the careers of Drs. Spencer, McGuire, and Schwab, the Kozak, Spencer, McGuire, Schwab Geology Fund was established in October 2001. The purpose of the fund is to provide financial support to geology students to travel to professional meetings, to prepare publications, and to present the results of their research to the technical community.

Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Kramer '40 established an endowment for the Society and the Professions teaching programs in ethics in 1979.

The Joseph L. Lanier Sr. '27 Endowment Fund was established in 1971.

The Lawrence Departmental Endowment was established in 2010, by alumni, parents and friends of the Williams Investment Society who responded to a challenge gift from Larry and Sally Lawrence (P '08, '10 and '12).  The Lawrences created the Lawrence Term Professorship in 2007 to support faculty who advise and teach students in the Williams Investment Society.  The Lawrence Departmental Endowment is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing salary support for faculty members in Business Administration, Economics, or Accounting as determined by the Dean of the Williams School in consultation with the Provost.

The E. Wright Ledbetter '89 Photography Endowment is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University that provides assistance to the study and instruction of photography, including both the fundamental aspects of the medium as well as the exploration of digital technology's impact on the art and craft of visual communication.  Application of the Endowment's income will be determined by the Chair of the Art Department in consultation with the Professor of Photography and the Dean of the College.  The Ledbetter Photography Endowment was established in 2006 by E. Wright Ledbetter '89 of Rome, Georgia.

The Robert E. Lee Undergraduate Research Program was established in 1960 through a gift from the late Dr. Gustave Benz Capito, an 1899 graduate of Washington and Lee. Income from this fund provides grants for students to pursue research projects in conjunction with or under the supervision of a professor. Recipients are known as Robert E. Lee Research Assistants or, if they have and maintain a 3.0 average, as Robert E. Lee Research Scholars.

The Marguerite and H. F. (Gerry) Lenfest Endowment was created in 1995 by H. F. (Gerry) Lenfest, Class of 1953, of Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania. The endowment supports the University's general academic program and the numerous activities of the Lenfest Center for the Performing Arts.

The H.F. Lenfest Endowment for Faculty Sabbaticals, established in 2008 by H.F. (Gerry) Lenfest '53, ‘55L, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing funding for full year sabbaticals for undergraduate faculty members as a means of attracting, retaining, and developing excellent faculty members committed to the educational values of W&L. The gift affirms the University's philosophical commitment to the teacher-scholar model and allows faculty to realize their full scholarly potential and to sustain a life of continuous learning. The fund is administered by the Provost.

The H.F. Lenfest Endowment for Faculty Summer Support, established in 2008 by Mr. H.F. (Gerry) Lenfest '53, ‘55L, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing summer support for the scholarly endeavors of undergraduate faculty members as a means of attracting, retaining, and developing excellent faculty members committed to the educational values of W&L. The gift affirms the University's philosophical commitment to the teacher-scholar model and allows faculty to realize their full scholarly potential and to sustain a life of continuous learning. The fund is administered by the Provost.

The Levy Endowment for Neuroscience was begun in 1991 to provide support for the University's interdisciplinary program by funding undergraduate summer research in neuroscience as part of the R. E. Lee Research Scholars program as directed by the Provost. The endowment is the gift of Dr. Edward D. Levy Jr., Class of 1959, and his mother, Mrs. Louise L. Levy of New Orleans, Louisiana.

Frances and Sydney Lewis '40, '43L created endowment funds for the Frances Lewis Law Center in 1972.

The James Graham Leyburn Library Endowment was established in 1996 by Miss Douglass Harlan, cousin of Washington and Lee's former Dean James Graham Leyburn. The endowment is to be used to help support the acquisitions program of the James Graham Leyburn Library.

The James G. Leyburn Scholars Program in Anthropology was established in 1981 by former students and friends of James Leyburn, who served as Dean of the University from 1947 until 1955, when he returned to head the Department of Sociology and Anthropology until 1967. He retired from active teaching in June 1972. The Leyburn Scholars Program is designed to further the study of and research in anthropology by enabling the University to provide stipends, supporting student research during both the academic year and the summer months.

The Joseph D. Logan Special Collections Fund, established in 2007 by Joseph D. Logan III '67L, is a term-endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing income for Leyburn Library to acquire materials for Special Collections. Expenditure of the principal is permitted only if necessary to acquire important materials of the 18th and 19th centuries related to the early history of Liberty Hall Academy and the college which was to become Washington and Lee University. Its use is determined by the University Librarian or designee.

The Florian J. Lombardi Endowment for Faculty Support, established in 2007 by the Trustees of the Florian J. Lombardi Foundation and upon the recommendation of Trustees Peter R. Strohm '68 and Valter H. Must P '08, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing salary support for University faculty judged to be excellent in teaching and in professional contributions.  If the gift value of the endowment reaches $250,000, the University will use the endowment to establish the Florian J. Lombardi Term Professorship as desired by the Foundation.

The Max Jacob and Jennie Natkin Lyons Memorial Fund was established in memory of his parents by Harry Lyons '22 as an endowment for educational purposes.

The Lucile E. And Stuart A. MacCorkle Endowment for Political Science was established by their joint estate in 1996. The purpose of the endowment is to enhance the program of the Politics Department through such activities as faculty development and visiting scholars. Stuart MacCorkle was a professor of political science at the University of Texas for many years and a member of the Washington and Lee Class of 1924.

Miss Emily Boyce MacKubin of Howard County, Maryland, an admirer of General Robert E. Lee, bequeathed in her will a generous sum to the University in 1957.

The J. Stephen Marks Endowment Fund, established originally in 1989 by J. Stephen Marks '59, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing long term facility maintenance for the Washington and Lee Hillel House, and secondarily as income is available, for the programming of Hillel and the House, as determined by the Vice President for Finance in consultation with the Director of the Hillel House and Hillel.

The George Frederick Marshall Endowment is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for new course development, curriculum innovation, professional development and research for faculty in The Ernest Williams II School of Commerce, Economics and Politics.  The endowment was created by George Frederick "Rick" Marshall '61 to honor John McKenzie Gunn '45, the Lewis Whitaker Adams Professor of Economics, Emeritus.  This fund is administered by the Dean of The Ernest Williams II School of Commerce, Economics and Politics in consultation with the Provost and in accordance with policies and procedures set by the Board of Trustees.

The Alexander W. McAlister Family Endowment for Entrepreneurship, established in 2012 by Susan and Alex McAlister '82, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing unrestricted support for entrepreneurship as determined by the Rupert H. Johnson, Jr. Professor of Entrepreneurship and Leadership in consultation with the Dean of the Ernest Williams II School of Commerce, Economics and Politics.

The McCain Family Internship Endowment was established in 2005 with gifts from brothers Charles H. McCain Jr. '52 and David W. McCain '55. It is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee providing support for pre-professional activities or studies directed by faculty for students in the Williams School of Commerce, Economics, and Politics. Awards are made by the Dean of the Williams School with preference for students seeking internships in international finance and commerce.

Mrs. Eileen D. McDaniel donated funds in 1981 for a restricted endowment to support the Leyburn Scholars in Anthropology Program.

The McJunkin Endowment for Student Engagement, established in 2010, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University dedicated to providing support to students in curriculum-related projects that engage them in addressing the greatest social and policy issues of their time.  This endowment is established in the belief that a Washington and Lee education is about more than one's self, that it is also about having concern for and serving others; that the goal of Washington and Lee University is to educate exceptionally capable, thoughtful and humane men and women who will strive to make their communities -- be they big or small -- better.

The McJunkin Shepherd Interns Endowment is a permanently endowed fund established in 2003 by Callen and Tom McJunkin, '70 '74L to fund a summer internship in the Shepherd Program.

The Herbert G. McKay Library Endowment was established in 2000 to provide funds for the purchase of reference works for the Herbert G. McKay Library in the Reeves Center.

The W. Groke Mickey Endowment. Established in 2009 by the Will of William Groke Mickey. To support the programs of the Reeves Center, 80% of the annual income is to be used to acquire fine and decorative arts objects for the permanent collection administered by the Reeves Center, with special emphasis given to the acquisition of eighteenth century Imari and other important Imari items for the Elinor Mickey Hays collection and for the initiation of a collection of eighteenth century blue and white Imari. 20% of the annual income is to be used to support scholarly publications and student internships under the auspices of the Center.

The A. Stevens Miles Library Endowment was established in 1991 by Mr. and Mrs. A. Stevens Miles of Louisville, Kentucky, to provide for the support and maintenance of the Leyburn Library. Mr. Miles, a member of the Class of 1951, is the former chairman and chief executive officer of the First Kentucky National Corporation. He was elected Rector of the University's Board of Trustees in 1990.

The M. Daniel Miller III and Phoebe T. Miller Endowment, a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University, provides financial assistance to undergraduate students planning to study abroad and will be awarded with term and country preferences for academic year and semester-long experiences in China and Japan. The income is to be awarded to a student, but it is not restricted to the stated preferences, if no students meet those preferences. This fund is administered by the Director of International Education or his/her designee in consultation with the Office of Financial Aid.

R. L. Miller '28, '30L established an endowment in 1983 for general purposes.

The Mollere-Oliver Library Fund was established in 1994 by Phillip D. Mollere '66 of New Orleans, Louisiana. The endowment was created to enhance the University's collection, preservation, and archiving of articles related to Robert E. Lee and to the history of the Shenandoah Valley. In addition, the fund may be used to provide support for library exhibits and for publishing certain collection guides with preference for historical pieces pertaining to Robert E. Lee and the Shenandoah Valley.

The Jessine A. Monaghan Fund. Through the generosity of Jessine A. Monaghan of the Law Class of 1979, the Jessine A. Monaghan Fund is being established in 2009 as a permanently endowed fund to support faculty of the School of Law who teach various aspects of the School of Law's third-year curriculum of experiential learning. The dean of the School of Law will administer the Fund.

The E. A. Morris Research Scholars Endowment was established in 2004 with gifts from the E. A. Morris Charitable Foundation to fund faculty-mentored summer research by highly accomplished students.  All disciplines are eligible with a preference for at least one student each summer doing research in economics or business.  The fund is administered by the Provost.

The Edwin A. Morris '26 Economics Enrichment Endowment was established in 1988 by Edwin A. Morris, Class of 1926, to provide funds for teaching and related activities in the Department of Economics, under the direction of the Dean of the Ernest Williams II School of Commerce, Economics, and Politics.

The Holmes Morrison '63, '67L Endowment for Shepherd Interns in West Virginia is a permanently endowed fund established in 2002 by Mr. Morrison to support Shepherd Program summer internships in West Virginia.

The William W. Morton Endowment for Philosophy and Religion was created as a joint departmental support fund in 1994 through the gift of W. Preston Greene Jr. '60 of Napa, California, in memory of this dedicated teacher and his wife, Frances Campbell Morton. Professor Morton was a member of the faculty from 1925 to 1956. Revenue from this special fund will be used by both departments to bring speakers into the classroom and to provide other academic enhancements for separate or mutual benefit.

The Robert A. Mosbacher Fund for International Lecturers and Visitors, established in 2006 by Robert A. Mosbacher '47A, '49L of Houston, Texas, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing income to sponsor, as determined by the Provost in consultation with the University's deans, visiting scholars and speakers who have an interest and recognized experience in global issues and concerns and can bring these perspectives to students and faculty during short campus visits that include lectures, visits to classes and close interactions with students and faculty.

Roger H. Mudd, Class of 1950, a nationally and internationally successful broadcast journalist, created an endowment in 1993 for support of the University's general academic program.

The Fund for the Roger Mudd Center for Ethics, established in 2010, is a permanent endowment at Washington and Lee University dedicated to two primary purposes under the leadership of its director:  initiating and leading curricular efforts at the University to enhance and expand the study of ethics; and serving as a national resource for the study of ethics in contemporary life.  The centerpiece of the fund as part of the Center is the endowment of the Roger Mudd Professorship in Ethics to support a creative, reputable, distinguished senior scholar in ethics who is also the director of the Roger Mudd Center for Ethics.  The fund also helps provide annual support for the programs and administration of the Center.

Mr. and Mrs. William T. Murphy III established the Murphy Teaching Fund in 1975.

The Jonathan Nabors '02 Fellowship Endowment Fund was established in 2006 with a gift, to honor the memory of their son Jonathan, from Doris and Eddie Nabors. Added to contributions to the Shepherd Poverty Program from other supporters, it created a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University which provides support for a Washington and Lee Shepherd Alliance intern to work full-time with disadvantaged communities and people, as determined by the director of the Shepherd Program for the Interdisciplinary Study of Poverty and Human Capability.

National Endowment for the Humanities made a challenge grant in support of the endowment for the Society and the Professions teaching program in ethics in 1981.

Albert Newman '24 Endowment Fund was established in 1985 under the estate of Mr. Newman of Stratford, Connecticut, and directed to the Hewlett-Mellon Presidential Discretionary Fund for Faculty and Curriculum Development.

The Thomas G. Nye Field Biology Research Fund was established in the year 2000 in celebration of Professor Nye's retirement as a professor of biology at Washington and Lee University and in recognition of his deep devotion to learning. The fund was made possible through contributions from the many grateful students Professor Nye taught and befriended during his 34-year career as a scholar and teacher at Washington and Lee.

The Pacific Northwest Summer Scholars Endowment was established in 1998 through lifetime gifts by Alan M. Corwin, Class of 1962. The endowment provides scholarship aid for Washington and Lee's Summer Scholars Program for deserving participants from the Pacific Northwest. Summer Scholars is a four-week academic program for students entering the last year of high school.

The Alston Page Parker Endowment was established in 1990 by the Williams Family Foundation of Georgia, Inc. in honor of Alston Page Parker '89. The purpose of the endowment is to support special team activities of the Washington and Lee sports program.

Miss Ruth Parmly made a gift in 1974 to the endowment of Washington and Lee in honor of her father, Charles Howard Parmly, and added substantially to this amount through her estate gift in 1984.

The Frank Parsons Fund for Photographic Arts was created in 2000 by Sally M. and Laurence A. Mann '70 in honor of Frank A. Parsons '54. The fund supports the activities of the Art Department, especially those activities related to the photographic arts.

The Elizabeth Gray and Marvin Banks Perry Memorial Fund was established in 1952 by gifts from Marvin B. Perry, Jr. and his father, originally as a memorial to his mother with his father added in 1979. Marvin Perry, Jr. taught English at Washington and Lee for many years before serving as president of Goucher College and then Agnes Scott College. Over the years Perry and his wife, Ellen Gilliam Perry added gifts to build the fund until it was completed via an estate gift following the death of Ellen Perry in 2008. The endowment supports acquisitions for Leyburn Library with a preference for books in English and American Literature. The fund is administered by the University Librarian or her/his designee.

John T. Perry Jr. '41 established an endowment for general academic support in 1986.

Paul D. Pickens '17 Fund was bequeathed by the estate of Paul D. Pickens as a trust held by others to support the undergraduate library specifically for the purchase of book subscriptions and software.

The Pauline B. And Paul D. Pickens Fund for the Performing Arts was created in 1998 as a trust held by others by Pauline B. Pickens in honor and memory of her husband, Paul D. Pickens '17. Income from the trust supports visiting artists on campus, ranging from single performances to non-permanent residential teaching/performing engagements.

The Rolf G. Piranian '74 Endowment for Faculty Support in Athletics, established in 2011 by Shaun R. Levesque '79 and Kathleen N. Levesque, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing salary support for coaches in the men's soccer program at Washington and Lee University and will be administered by the Provost in consultation with the Director of Athletics.

The Herbert Pollack Lectures in the Humanities and Sciences, Society and the Professions Program. Dr. Herbert Pollack, Class of 1925, provided for an endowment to support two lecture programs through his estate plan. The first program honors Professor Benjamin Delaware Easter and is focused on the humanities, while the second program honors Professor Lucius Junius DeShae and is focused on the sciences. Through his gift Dr. Pollack wishes to recognize the influence of these two men on his life and career. These lectures will be offered under the direction of the Society and the Professions Program or its successor. Administration of this endowment is the responsibility of Washington and Lee University in accordance with University policy.

The Herbert Pollack Library Endowment. Dr. Herbert Pollack, Class of 1925, in recognition of the importance of a library to an academic institution, made provision in his estate plan to create an endowment to support the James G. Leyburn Library. The purpose of this endowment is to provide funding to support the introduction of new systems and services to keep pace with changing technology and campus needs. Administration of this endowment is the responsibility of Washington and Lee University in accordance with University policy.

The John W. Poynor M.D. Fund was established in 1976 by John W. Poynor '62 of Birmingham, Alabama, to provide assistance for the undergraduate college.

John Lee Pratt in 1976 bequeathed a major portion of his estate to Washington and Lee for student aid and faculty salaries.

The William W. Pusey III Endowment Fund was established in 1995 through a bequest from the estate of former dean William W. Pusey III. The Pusey Endowment Fund supports the activities of the Department of German and Russian. Revenue shall be used annually to purchase books for the departmental library, sponsor visiting lecturers, purchase small computer and audiovisual equipment for departmental use, sponsor field trips for students and any other purpose to which the members of the department would direct these funds.

The Harold J. Quinn, Jr. Faculty Support Endowment is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing unrestricted support for faculty compensation. This endowment is administered by the Provost or his/her designee in consultation with the academic deans.

The David L. Jr. '24 and John S. '29 Ragland Endowment was established in 2000 through the will of David L. Ragland Jr. to provide funding for the general educational purposes of the University.

The Reeves Center Internship Fund was created on January 9, 1997, by Fannie Quillian (Mrs. W.R.) Reeves and her children, Chester Quillian Reeves and Frances Reeves Drayton, to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Euchlin D. Reeves' death and to honor the 104th anniversary of his oldest brother's, Winfield Robinson Reeves, birth. The fund supports a summer intern to be selected by the Director of the Reeves Center in consultation with the Dean of the College. The Reeves Center Intern will conduct supervised research during the summer months related to the Reeves Center and Watson Pavilion collections and will assist the Director and his staff.

The Smith Richardson Foundation designated funds for endowment for the School of Journalism and Mass Communications in honor of Dr. Henry Louis Smith in 1974.

The Megan E. Rigdon '03 Undergraduate Research Fund, established in 2005, is an endowed fund to provide grants for students to pursue research projects as R. E. Lee Research Scholars, as directed by the Provost.

The Jockey John Robinson Endowment Fund was established in 2011 through a gift from James R. Small '81 and Alison Small to support a First-Year Seminar in the Physical Sciences as administered by the Dean of the College in consultation with the Provost and appropriate College faculty.

The Paul Ayres Rockwell Library Endowment Fund was established in 1986 by Dr. W.J. Kenneth Rockwell '52 in memory of his father Paul Ayres Rockwell '12. Paul Rockwell was a veteran of three wars and historian for the French Foreign Legion's famed Lafayette Escadrille. The fund supports library acquisitions whose subject matter relates particularly to France and the eastern United States.

Robert W. Root '42 established a special endowment in 1991 to support an annual lecture series on the mind. Guest speakers are selected on a rotating basis by the departments of psychology, philosophy, and religion, as well as the cognitive science program. In addition, the fund supports library acquisitions in the field of parapsychology and related studies.

The Mary P. Ross Library Endowment Fund was established in 2000 through the estate of Mrs. Mary P. Ross, wife of the late Charles H. Ross '23. The endowment's purpose is to support the acquisition of books and periodicals for the University Library.

The Rudolph Family Psychology & Neuroscience Fund, established in 2008 by Dr. Rhys A. Rudolph and Mrs. Laura B. Rudolph, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University administered by the Head of the Psychology Department that provides support to the Psychology Department with a strong emphasis on the Neuroscience Program. The income from this Fund supports both independent and collaborative faculty and student research and scholarship. Support typically alternates annually so that one year's fund proceeds are directed primarily toward faculty research and scholarship and the following year's proceeds primarily toward student research and scholarship.

The Stanford L. Schewel '39, '40L Fund honors the memory of this alumnus with lectures in the Department of Religion. The fund brings noted scholars to the department to speak on topics that promote understanding of the religious traditions of the world, including but not limited to Judaism. This donation may also support activities related to Jewish student life. The fund was established in 1996 through the generosity of Mr. Schewel's nephew and his wife, Eric and Bebe Heiner of Charlottesville, Virginia.

The Richard B. Sessoms Visiting Artists Fund in Theater is a permanently endowed fund established by Claire and Dwight Emanuelson '84 at Washington and Lee University providing support for a visiting artist, every other year, in the Department of Theater and Dance.  While in residence this guest artist will work with department faculty and students and will contribute their expertise in a Theater-department course and production.  The fund will be administered by the department chair in consultation with the Dean of the College.

The Tom and Nancy Shepherd Endowment for the Shepherd Poverty Program is a permanently endowed fund established in 2002 by the Board of Trustees from gifts made by the Shepherds to support the program.

The Simmons Family Endowment for Biology. Established in 2009 by Dr. John Simmons '69 and his wife Rene, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing salary support for University faculty members in Biology and honoring the late Professor of Biology Henry S. Roberts. The gift recognizes Professor Roberts as a teacher, mentor and friend to Dr. Simmons during his time as a student at W&L and helps meet the Lenfest Challenge for Faculty support.

The Pamela H. Simpson Endowment for Art, established in 2011, is a permanently endowed fund to support the hosting of distinguished academic and professional visitors to campus for brief periods of time to work directly with students and faculty in Washington and Lee's Department of Art and Art History as administered by the Chair of the Art and Art History Department in consultation with the Dean of the College and other appropriate faculty. While the department may use the fund to underwrite a variety of activities over time to enrich its educational mission for both the history of art and studio art, a significant planned use of the endowment would be to bring in prominent visitors to enrich the educational experience in the department. Also, when appropriate and funds are available, for students to visit studios of visiting artists.

The Todd C. Smith Memorial Fellowship Fund was established in 1990 by friends of Todd Smith '83, a reporter for The Tampa Tribune who was killed in Peru in 1989 while working independently on a story about the international drug trade. The fellowship annually provides a stipend to enable a Washington and Lee student to pursue accreditable academic work in a foreign country and to immerse himself or herself extensively in that culture. The fellow's research and study are to be focused on a topic of current interest and importance, and the fellowship is expected to result in a publishable journalistic work. The Tampa Tribune will publish the fellow's work if it meets the Tribune's standards and editorial needs. The competition is open to any rising junior or senior enrolled in Washington and Lee University. The award is based on how closely the application reflects Smith's interest in promoting understanding of foreign issues and cultures through journalism.

The Charles M. Snyder '99 Memorial Endowment for Mock Convention was established in 2001 by a group of Charley's friends and classmates.  The Snyder Endowment is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support to recruit notable speakers for Mock Convention.  The fund will be administered by the advisor for Mock Convention.

The George W. Spaulding '34 Endowment was established in 1980.

The Archibald Alexander Sproul III Endowment for the School of Commerce, Economics, and Politics was created in 1978 by General Sproul, Class of 1937, to provide support for faculty development.

The George W. St. Clair Endowment. This devoted friend, in 1931 and 1932, contributed toward an endowment of the chair of Bible. Following the death of Mr. St. Clair, members of his family augmented this endowment by additional gifts. Since this endowment never reached its desired funding level, Mr. St. Clair's grandsons, Robert H. Moore, Jr., Class of 1944 and George W. St. Clair, Class of 1953, working with the University, directed that this fund provide continuing support for The Fletcher Otey Thomas Professorship in Bible.

The Robert W. Storey Endowment Fund is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University supporting undergraduate student learning experiences including the R. E. Lee Research Scholars Program with preference for students studying in the Williams School of Commerce, Economics and Politics.  This fund is administered by the Provost or his/her designee.

The Stovall Family Endowment, established in 2012 by a gift from Debbie and David Stovall '69, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing unrestricted support for the faculty, students and programs of the Ernest Williams II School of Commerce, Economics and Politics.  The fund is administered by the Crawford Family Dean and can be used to underwrite current programs or to invest in emerging areas of emphasis.  It was given as part of Honor Our Past, Build Our Future: The Campaign for Washington and Lee.

The Janice Ferman Straske '91 Endowment Fund was created in 1994 by Mr. and Mrs. James L. Ferman Jr. in honor of their daughter, Janice Ferman Straske '91. The fund supports the University's general endowment for scholarships.

Hatton W. Sumners Foundation established an endowment in 1981 to support the student Mock Political Convention and increased the endowment in 1984.

Charles M. Switzer '15, through his estate, created an endowment for the Department of Chemistry in 1986.

The Robert Lee Telford Lectureship Program was created in 1985 by Robert Lee Telford of Naples, Florida, Class of 1922, and is continued through a trust held by others which was established by Mr. Telford's estate at the time of his death in 1989.

The Hortense Rigby and John H. Tucker Jr. Endowment Fund was created in 1985 under the estates of Colonel and Mrs. Tucker of Shreveport, Louisiana. The endowment is further recognized by the Hortense Rigby and John H. Tucker Jr. Faculty Law Library. Return from the endowment is to be available for the general support of the University's academic program.

The Sally Turrell Fund was established in 2007 by action of the Board of Trustees in recognition of Sally Turrell's great generosity to Washington and Lee University through the Sally W. Turrell Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust. The Trustees recognized this remainder interest gift as an extension of the affection she shared with her husband, Richard H. Turrell, Class of 1949, for the University and more specifically for Lee Chapel and Museum. Funds from this Board of Trustees designated endowment support the operations, preservation, and conservation of Lee Chapel and Museum and its collections. This fund is administered by the Provost or his/her designee.

The M. Theodore Van Leer '51 Endowment was established in 1981.

The Virginia Poetry Center's Graybeal-Gowen Prize was established in 2007 by James T. Graybeal '49A '51L and his wife, Priscilla G. Graybeal, in memory of her father, Howerton Gowen '30A. The Virginia Poetry Center's Graybeal-Gowen Prize Fund, a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee, provides a prize annually to a Virginia poet as determined by the editorial staff of Shenandoah and W&L's Virginia Poetry Center.

The Joseph Walker Jr. Faculty Development Endowment was established in June 2003 by Mr. Walker, a member of the Class of 1934. This endowed fund supports the time-honored traditions of small classes, personal attention, and a close relationship between students and teachers-proud hallmarks of Washington and Lee University. It was established to enhance the quality of undergraduate faculty, through assisting them in their professional and scholarly activities and through contributing to their growth as teacher-scholars. Administration of this endowment is the responsibility of Washington and Lee University in accordance with University policies.

The Thomas R. Wall IV Endowment for Support of Coaches, established in 2010, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University dedicated to providing competitive salary support for coaches.  The fund is administered by the Provost, in consultation with the Athletic Director.  The fund counts towards the Lenfest Challenge for Faculty Support.

The Avis P. Waring Endowment is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support to Washington and Lee undergraduate physics and engineering students to aid them in participating in co-curricular activities that connect academic studies, service activities and/or pre-professional experiences as determined by the Department Head for the Department of Physics and Engineering or his/her designee.

Jonathan Westervelt Warner '41 gave a portion of his gifts to general endowment in 1972.

The Washington and Lee Traveller Endowment is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for the University's lifelong learning travel programs as administered by the Office of Special Programs.  Income from this endowment will be used to enhance and assure intellectually stimulating and culturally enriching learning experiences both domestic and foreign, and is to be used to provide an extra dimension of enrichment for program participants.  Funds from this endowment will be administered by the Director of Special Programs or his/her designee.

The Washington and Lee University Athletics Leadership Development Program Endowment established in 2002 by J. Scott Fechnay '69 and Peggy Ann Eacho Fechnay is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing leadership education and training opportunities for the captains of our intercollegiate athletic teams, for the student-athlete mentors of our athletic teams, intercollegiate athletes and students, as determine by the Director of Athletics, who administers the fund.

The Washington and Lee University School of Law Shepherd Loan Repayment Assistance Program Fund is a permanent endowment created by gifts from Nancy and Tom Shepherd '52 to provide financial assistance to law graduates working in the public interest at salaries below what their counterparts in the private sector are earning.  The fund is administered by the LRAP Committee appointed by the Dean of the Law School.

The Washington Term Program Endowment, established in 2012 by John A. Ebner '91 and supported by additional alumni, parents and other donors, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for the Washington Term Program as determined by the Crawford Family Dean of the Williams School of Commerce, Economics and Politics, in consultation with the Director of Washington Term.

The William C. Watson Endowment Fund was established in 1994 under the will of Elizabeth Otey Watson in loving memory of her husband. The fund will be used to support the current operations of the Reeves Center and the Watson Pavilion, housing the University's collection of East Asian arts.

The James L. Webster Memorial Fund was established in 1953 by William L. Webster '12 in memory of his father.

The James W. and Celeste Whitehead Fund was established in 1991 by a gift from Gulf States Paper Corporation to provide for the care, cleaning, maintenance, transportation, and insurance concerning the William Winstanley painting of George Washington, which was a gift of Jonathan W. (Jack) Warner '40, Chief Executive Officer of Gulf States Paper Corporation, in 1980.

The James W. Whitehead Reeves Center Endowment was created in 1992 by an anonymous donor to honor Mr. Whitehead's long career as treasurer and secretary of the University, and his retirement from the directorship of the Reeves Center.

The Ernest Williams II '38 Endowment was established in 1980. A second endowment was established by Mr. Williams and his wife Marjorie in 1995, which supports faculty development and technological improvements for the Ernest Williams II School of Commerce, Economics, and Politics.

The Ernest Williams II and Marjorie O. Williams Internship Endowment is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University supporting domestic student internships as part of the Shepherd Program on Poverty and Human Capability. Financial stipend awards are made to Washington and Lee University students engaged in qualified internships by the Director of the Shepherd Program or his/her designee.

The H. Thomas Williams Jr. Undergraduate Research Scholar Fund was established in 2007 by a Board of Trustees resolution in honor of Tom Williams upon his retirement as Provost. This is a permanently endowed fund to support a student selected by the faculty of the Physics Department to engage in research with a faculty member during the academic year as directed by the Provost.

The Ki and Edna Williams Endowment was established by the Board of Trustees in 2001 in recognition of the Williams' generous unrestricted bequest. The fund supports the University's general operations.

The Marjorie O. Williams Endowment for Library Acquisitions was created in 1993 by a gift from Mrs. Williams' husband, Ernest Williams II, Class of 1938, and herself. The fund is intended to strengthen the holdings of the Leyburn Library.

The Williams School Student Opportunities Fund, established in 2013 by a founding gift from Mr. and Mrs. R. Allen Haight '84, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for student career development programs in the Ernest Williams II School of Commerce, Economics and Politics. The fund is administered by the Crawford Family Dean and can be used to underwrite current programs or to invest in new opportunities. It was given as part of Honor Our Past, Build Our Future: The Campaign for Washington and Lee.

The Jack A. Williamson '30 Endowment was established in 1996 under Mr. Williamson's will. The fund supports the general operations of the University.

The William Lyne Wilson II Endowment Fund, created in 1991 by a distribution from the estate of William Lyne Wilson II '27, is devoted to the support of an annual symposium that examines topics bearing upon the exercise or expansion of political and economic freedom in the world. Entitled "The William Lyne Wilson II Symposium on Political and Economic Freedom," it features guest lecturers of national distinction who join our own faculty and students on campus.

The Carroll B. Wiltshire Endowment Fund was established by an estate-oriented gift from Carroll B. Wiltshire '13 of Lynchburg, Virginia. The Wiltshire Endowment Fund supports the sciences and science-based initiatives from faculty members.

Mr. and Mrs. William B. Wisdom '21 gave for endowment purposes in 1975.

The Robert R. Witt '12 Commerce Endowment was established by Mr. and Mrs. Robert R. Witt in 1979.

The William Plummer Woodley Endowment was established in 1990 through the will of his sister, Lillian Woodley Norfleet. Income from the fund that honors Mr. Woodley, JD '28, is to be used to further the objectives of the University, as determined by the Board of Trustees.

The Erik T. Woolley Fellowships for International Internships were established by Dr. Paul O. Woolley Jr. in 2001 in honor and memory of his son, Erik. Woolley Fellowships are awarded to Washington and Lee University students on an annual basis to support educational internship experiences overseas, usually during the spring term or the summer. With an expectation that students must prepare themselves for an ever deeper global engagement, regardless of their field of student or career interests, the goal of an internship will be to foster exposure to and experience in both international professional practice and cultural understanding.

The Wyckoff Family Endowment, established by a gift from Robert Q. Wyckoff, Jr. '75, Alicia Longobardo, and their children Harrison and Amelia, is a permanently endowed fund at Washington and Lee University providing support for international programs in the Ernest Williams II School of Commerce, Economics and Politics. The fund is administered by the Crawford Family Dean and can be used to underwrite current international programs or to invest in new opportunities. It was given as part of Honor Our Past, Build Our Future: The Campaign for Washington and Lee.

The Laurence Wynn '34 Endowment was established by the Board of Trustees in 2001 in recognition of Mr. Wynn's generous unrestricted bequest. The fund supports the University's general operations.

Frank G. Young '66 established the Young Endowment in 1974 for the special benefit of the geology department.

Lester E. Zittrain Memorial Endowment. The Lester E. Zittrain Memorial Endowment was created in 2003 through a bequest from Lester E. Zittrain, Esq., a member of the Class of 1952. The fund supports an annual Alumni College distinguished faculty member to lecture and participate in the on-campus program. The individual serving in this role will be known as the Lester E. Zittrain Distinguished Lecturer, and that fact will be included in the literature for the course.