Program OfferingsAcademic Division:
Bachelor of ArtsAcademic Programs: Course Offerings:
Example Career Outcomes
- Fulbright Fellowships
- Graduate Study
- Law School
- Medical School
A multilingual, diverse, and dedicated faculty stimulate in majors and non-majors a vital interest in the French, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese languages, fostering intellectual growth, critical thinking and expressive sophistication through the use of Romance languages in the study of diverse cultural media, linguistic analysis and most especially through the examination of literary and other culturally significant texts. The Department embraces study abroad as an essential component of language study and actively advises students for a semester or year abroad in any country where Romance languages are spoken, and currently offers spring term courses in France, Costa Rica and Spain.
- 3 distinct majors: French, Spanish, and Romance Languages (French or Spanish with another Romance Language)
- A strong emphasis on individual and artistic expression, with courses in theater, writing, translation, and literature
- Spring term abroad courses in Spain, Costa Rica, and France
- Curricular partnerships with programs in Latin-American and Caribbean Studies, Women and Gender Studies, and Environmental Studies (Brazilian Amazon)
- Advanced majors work with individual faculty in researching and writing an Honors thesis
- Opportunities for community involvement through English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) student organization.
- Annual awards for outstanding French and Spanish majors
- Casa Hispánica, the university's only language-themed residence