Program OfferingsAcademic Division:
Bachelor of ArtsAcademic Programs: Course Offerings:
Example Career Outcomes
With emphasis on the liberal arts, the Department of Economics seeks to impart to its students with a fundamental understanding of economic processes and institutions; the ability to think critically using the analytical tools of the discipline; and an understanding of how economic analysis is used to address complex economic and social issues.
- Small classes allow the economics faculty to adopt a conversational style in much of their teaching.
- The faculty strives toimpart to students the ability to apply economic theory to the assessment of economic and social issues, and to apply empirical tools of the discipline to evaluate the validity of theoretical predictions.
- A Socratic approach to teaching and an emphasis on writing throughout the curriculum develop our students' capacity to communicate.
- Each specialized upper-level course addresses a specific field within economics and is taught only by those professors who have advanced training in that field and who typically conduct their research in that field.
- The Economics Department also organizes regular seminars where scholars are invited to campus to talk with students and faculty about their research and how new ideas can be integrated into the curriculum at W&L.