Program OfferingsAcademic Division:
Bachelor of ArtsAcademic Programs: Course Offerings:
Example Career Outcomes
- Real Estate
The Department of Philosophy at Washington & Lee University seeks to introduce students to deep and persistent questions of existence, knowledge, and value, and encourages students to examine critically a variety of beliefs, attitudes, and social structures.
The Philosophy program emphasizes argument, discussion, and debate, and students learn how to better organize and present their ideas in writing and public speaking.
- The Philosophy Department has a comparatively large group of excellent faculty who are able to offer classes in a variety of areas of philosophy and in historical periods
- Class sizes are small and professors are able to provide students with a lot of supervision and assistance
- All classes are discussion-based and students participate fully
- Students are able to select their classes according to their interests
- Students have the opportunity to participate in the Ethics Bowl debate competition and Moot Court competition
- The Philosophy major can be easily combined with other majors
- Students regularly study abroad in their sophomore or junior years
- Philosophy majors do better on the LSAT (for law school) and on the GRES (for graduate school) than students from all other humanities and social science subjects
- Philosophy majors have gone to graduate school or law school at Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Penn, Michigan, Chicago, Oxford, UVA, Chapel Hill, Tufts, UTexas and W&L