Washington and Lee University received an anonymous gift from a former member of the Board of Trustees to acquire and help renovate Belfield, originally the home of W&L's legendary dean of students Frank J. Gilliam.
Belfield, which is located on Liberty Hall Road just west of Wilson Field, was completed in 1929 and features extensive gardens on its 2 ½ acres. Its 14 rooms, served by 5 ½ baths, feature exquisitely detailed, hand carved woodwork. The late Pendleton Scott Clark, a prominent architect from Lynchburg, designed the structure.
The Gardens of Belfield were designed by the late Charles Gillette, a renowned landscape architect from Richmond.
The University is currently undertaking a study to determine a suitable purpose for Belfield once it has been renovated.