Lexington, Virginia • December 14, 2009
Washington and Lee University's Community Grants Committee has made its first round of grants to non-profit organizations in the Lexington/Rockbridge community, awarding grants to 13 different organizations.
Nineteen proposals were received with for more thn $74,000 in requests. The 13 grants that were made totalled $29,750 and were made to the following organizations:
• Blue Ridge Autism and Achievement Center
• Boxerwood Nature Center & Woodland Garden
• English Speaking Union - Lexington Branch
• Hoofbeats Therapeutic Riding Center
• Lexington Office on Youth
• Rockbridge Area Occupational Center
• Rockbridge Area Free Clinic
• Rockbridge Area Relief Association
• Rockbridge County High School Model UN
• Rockbridge County Public Schools
• Rockbridge County Public Schools Foundation
• The Rockbridge Regional Library's Youth Literacy Program
• Waddell PTA
W&L's President Kenneth P. Ruscio said, "The needs are great, and W&L is proud to be a partner with the wonderful agencies that work so hard to improve the quality of life in Lexington and the greater Rockbridge communities."
Washington and Lee will award a total of $50,000 during the program's 2009-2010 cycle. Proposals may be submitted at any time but will be reviewed semiannually. The submission deadline for the second round of consideration is June 1, 2010. Interested parties may access the Community Grants Committee Web site and download a copy of the proposal guidelines.
Proposals should be submitted as electronic attachments (word or pdf) via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please call 540-458-8417 with questions.) If an electronic submission is not possible, materials may be faxed to 540-458-8745 or mailed to:
Washington and Lee University Community Grants Committee
Attn: James D. Farrar, Jr.
Office of the Secretary
204 W. Washington Street
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450