Suggested Reading For Parents
Selections of Interest to Parents of Incoming First-Year Students
Articles for Parents of Incoming First-Year Students
In this section, you may find current articles of interest to parents of college students. Some of these may raise questions - please feel free to contact the Dean of First-Year Students.
Want to talk with your college student about drinking before they begin their college experience? An excellent on-line resource is available at www.collegetalkonline.com.
Available at your local library or bookstore:
- *The Abandoned Generation: Rethinking Higher Education, Thomas H. Naylor & William H. Willimon (Wm. B. Eerdsmans Publishing Company, 1995)
- A Parent's Guide to Sex, Drugs and Flunking Out, Answers to the Questions Your College Student Doesn't Want You to Ask, Joel Epstein (Hazleden, 2001)
- Letting Go: A Parent’s Guide to Today’s College Experience, Karen Levin Coburn & Madge Lawrence Treeger (Harper Collins, 1997)
- The Millenials: Americans Under Age 25 (New Strategist Publications, Inc.)
- *College–The Undergraduate Experience in America, Ernest Boyer (Harper & Row, 1987)
- The Educated Student: Getting the Most Out of Your College Years, Richard Labunski (Marley and Beck Press, 2002)
- Just Say Know: Talking with Kids About Drugs and Alcohol. Cynthia Kuhn, Ph.D., Scott Swartzwelder, Ph.D., and Wilkie Wilson, Ph.D. (W.W. Norton & Company, 2002)
- Buzzed: The Straight Facts about the Most Used and Abused Drugs. Cynthia Kuhn, Ph.D., Scott Swartzwelder, Ph.D., and Wilkie Wilson, Ph.D. (W.W. Norton & Company, 1998)
- Pumped: Straight Facts for Athletes About Drugs, Supplements and Training. Cynthia Kuhn, Ph.D., Scott Swartzwelder, Ph.D., and Wilkie Wilson, Ph.D. (W.W. Norton & Company, 2000)
- The College Student's Guide to Eating Well on Campus. Ann Selkowitz Litt, M.S., R.D., L.D. (Tulip Hill Press, 2000)
- Our Drink: Detoxing the Perfect Family, Chris Volkmann and Toren Volkmann (Elton-Wolf Publishing, 2004)
*These books are out-of-print, but are fabulous resources; check them out at your local library. Books listed here may be available at your local bookstore or may be purchased online through the Washington and Lee University Bookstore at: http://wlubookstore.collegestoreonline.com/.