The TMC, as it is known by students, faculty, and the surrounding Rockbridge community, was erected with funds approved by the President of the University and members of the Board of Trustees. The Pew Charitable Trusts, the Charles E. Culpepper Foundation, and the Rockefeller Brothers Fund have supplied substantial and separate funding grants, therefore providing means over the years, for equipment acquisition, curriculum development, and, most importantly, methodology enrichment. As stated by the late President John W. Elrod: "The Tucker Multimedia Center speaks volumes about what can be achieved when technology is harnessed imaginatively in the service of a clear educational mission. It can energize the whole campus and bring us closer together."
The Center, which is divided into three teaching areas, features one of the most advanced learning and teaching software platforms in the world, the Sanako Study 1200 System. Users at individual workstations have access to all materials housed on the TMC's multimedia servers.
A wide variety of prepackaged, textbook-associated computer programs are available for student use. The TMC also provides an extensive collection of resource and language programs, some of which have been developed by staff and faculty-awarded research and teaching development grants.