A Liberal Arts Education for the 21st Century Executive Summary
I. Recruit and Support Students with Exceptional Personal and Intellectual Characteristics
- Attract need-based financial aid for undergraduate schools and the School of Law.
- Enroll greater numbers of qualified American ethnic minorities and students from low-and middle-income families.
- Create loan repayment fund for students entering public service.
- Supply tools for enhanced student recruitment efforts.
II. Recruit, Retain and Develop Exceptionally Qualified Faculty and Staff Committed to the Values of the University
- Provide faculty compensation consistent with peer institutions.
- Provide staff with competitive salaries, enhanced benefits, training opportunities.
- Enrich curriculum through endowed professorships, law clinical offerings, addi¬tional coaching interns, Artist/Scholar/Executive in Residence programs.
- Enhance faculty development programs, including funds for curricular initiatives and electronic research resources.
III. Establish New Academic Programs and Enhance Existing Ones that Foster Learning, Engagement and Character
- Launch new undergraduate curricular initiatives, including a freshman seminar program, Latin American Studies program, Law and Commerce, Corporate Governance, increased attention to the Middle East.
- Strengthen existing programs in African-American Studies, Women’s Studies, East Asian Studies, etc.
- Establish third-year law curricular initiative (“Bridge to the Profession”).
- Enhance strong existing programs through endowment.
- Globalize the curriculum.
- Enhance leadership and ethics programming.
- Endow annual student research symposium: Science, Society and the Arts.
- Endow a student-faculty collaborative research fund.
IV. Create a Campus for the 21st Century
- Renovate Colonnade.
- Build a modern teaching facility on duPont site.
- Renovate and reconfigure interior of Lewis Hall; additional space for Law School.
- Transform Leyburn Library into 21st century learning venue.
- Renovate/rebuild underclass housing.
- Construct Center for Jewish Life.
- Enhance athletic facilities; renew Wilson Field.
- Renovate Doremus/Warner athletic complex.