Skip to:Main Content

Washington and Lee University

Washington and Lee University
Washington and Lee University Campus Image

Frequently Asked Questions


1.  When are payments due?
Fall term payment is due August 10 and Winter/Spring term payment is due December 10.

2.  What if my payment is not received by the due date?
A late fee of 1.5% of unpaid balances, 30 days or older, will be assessed monthly until the account is cleared. Also, a hold may be placed on the student record, thus not allowing matriculation or registration for future terms and/or transcripts to be sent, for more information see Penalties.

3.  I'm going to be out of town/country when the payment is due?
A payment can be made online anywhere there is an internet connection using GPS (Generals Payment System). If internet access is not available and if there is no one to place the payment in the mail for you, we will be glad to hold a post-dated check until the due date. However, we ask that you send the check clearly marked and with a note. Late fees may be added if not paid by the due date.

4.  My son/daughter is a freshman and I sent in a $1000 deposit. Why is there only a $850 credit posted to the account?
Freshmen make a $1000 deposit to cover two items. One is a tuition deposit of $850 and the other is a housing deposit of $150. The housing deposit less any charges for damages will be credited to the fall term bill in the following academic year or refunded at the end of the senior year.

5.  May I deduct pending financial aid?
Access Group, AMS, College Credit, and Educaid loan funds will be disbursed by electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly to the student's University account and will show as pending if the financial aid applications have been filed in a timely manner. You may deduct from the balance due on your bill the amount for the applicable term only as follows:

1. Non-University loans (Federal Stafford Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan - GSL/USL; Federal PLUS Loan - PLUS; Non-federal Education Loan - LLA) may be deducted if the net amount of the loan is reflected as "pending" on your statement. NOTE: ONLY the net amount of these checks, which will be approximately 97.0% of the gross loan, can be deducted.

2. University loans (Perkins or Washington and Lee Loan) may be deducted. HOWEVER, PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THE STUDENT BORROWER MUST SIGN HIS/HER PROMISSORY NOTE DURING THE FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL IN ORDER FOR THE LOAN TO BE CREDITED TO HIS/HER ACCOUNT. Failure to sign the promissory note when requested may result in late charges.

6.  There is only a portion of the total loans, grants, and scholarships shown in the pending area. Why is it not all there?
Loans, grants, and scholarships are divided into two parts (for each semester) unless specified by the lending agency or giver.

7.  A Non-University loan will cover the balance due but I applied for it after June 15 or have not yet applied for it. How will late fees by applied?
A late charge of 1 ½ % of the unpaid balance, 30 days or older, will be accessed monthly until the account is cleared. Borrowers should refer to their loan disclosure papers for the check disbursement dates. The checks usually arrive in the Business Office seven to ten days following that date. It is the borrower's responsibility to endorse and have the loan check applied to the student's account. As a courtesy to our students, the Business Office tries to send out a notification within 24 hours upon receiving the loan check(s) from the Financial Aid Office. The notification is sent to the student's e-mail address and will require the student to come to the Business Office to endorse the check by a specified date. The student must sign the check by that date according to federal regulations and to avoid a late charge.

8.  My son/daughter has a scholarship due from NON-University sources. How is this handled?
Outside scholarships are posted by the Financial Aid Office when received. Unless specified by the giver, the scholarship will be applied to the student account in two parts - 1/2 to fall term and 1/2 to winter term. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that all requirements stipulated by the giver are met (e.g., submitting grade reports) so that scholarship proceeds may be sent to the University and processed in timely fashion. Should the outside scholarship not arrive by the due date and the balance not be paid from other sources, late charges will be applied.

9.  What happens should a credit balance result after all financial aid is posted?
Undergraduate disbursement of refunds will be made after September 15th for the fall term and after January 15th for the winter term. Law disbursement of refunds will be made after August 31st for the fall term and after January 15th for the winter term.

10.  Does the University have a payment plan?
The University does not have a payment plan. However, we do work with Tuition Management Systems. This organization will work directly with you to provide a payment plan to meet your needs and the University's requirement of receiving payment by the due dates specified above. NOTE: Any amount above what is budgeted through Tuition Management Systems is the responsibility of the billed party. Any questions about this plan may be directed to Tuition Management Systems at 1-800-722-4867. Click here for a link to the Tuition Management Systems Web site.

11.  What if my son/daughter withdraws?
Refunds are made in accordance with the policy expressed in the University Catalog. The University does offer through A.W.G. Dewar, Inc. a tuition refund insurance policy that will protect the billed party should the student suffer a serious illness or accident and has to leave the University before the term is completed. Payment to DEWAR is due before the student commences classes. Please contact Dewar at 1-617-380-8770 for further information.

12.  What if my check is returned for non-sufficient funds?
Our bank will immediately redeposit checks returned for non-sufficient or non-collectable funds. All checks returned a second time automatically cause a $25.00 service charge to the student account. In addition, checks submitted for Tuition and Fee charges, which are returned a second time, may subject the student to denial or reversal of registration.

13.  What if I have a question regarding fraternity/sorority charges?
All parents/guardians of fraternity/sorority members should receive a letter from the organization's treasurer explaining the charges prior to each term's billing. If you did not receive a letter or have additional questions, please contact us. NOTE: Charges for these organizations will appear on both the July and November bills. The July fees cover fall term whereas November fees cover winter and spring terms.

14.  How does my student sign up for a meal plan?
If your student is a freshman, he/she is required to have the full meal plan provided in the Marketplace Dining Center, which is located in the John W. Elrod Commons; and no further sign up is necessary. Upperclassmen are given a variety of meal plans from which to choose. Information describing each plan is sent out by Auxiliary Services before the fall term to all upperclassmen. If the enrollment form is received by August 31, access to the meal plan will be available on the opening day of the Marketplace Dining Center.  Please view the Dining Services Meal Plan page for more information.

15.  My son/daughter is on a meal plan. Why is the winter term charge greater than the fall term?
The amount on the winter term bill covers the additional six-week spring term.

16.  I received my son/daughter's phone bill. I then received the bill from the Business Office with the phone charge listed and I've already paid the phone bill?
To avoid overpayment, please pay from the Business Office statement. The phone bill should be used as a supporting document to the charge. Also, please note that the phone detail goes to the parent/guardian only if the student elects that option on the Telecommunications Contract that is sent out during the summer.

17.  What kind of charges, besides the normal tuition and fees, can I expect?
A student has the opportunity to charge just about anything on campus. The Business Office can limit some types of charges upon written (or e-mail) request by the parent/guardian. However, we can not control all charges. The student will be on their honor to comply with the wishes of the parent/guardian.

18.  What Is The Student Health Services Fee?
The student health services fee is to help maintain student services at their current level.

19.  What Is The Calyx Fee?
The Calyx is W&L's undergraduate yearbook. The book is distributed to returning students during matriculation, and is mailed to graduating seniors. The mandatory $50 'Calyx fee' covers the cost of the production and printing of the yearbook. If you have further questions about this charge, please contact the editor of the Calyx via email at

20.  What address do I use for express mail?

Washington and Lee University
Business Office
2 South Main Street
Lexington, VA 24450-2116

21.  Where can my son/daughter cash a check?
There is no facility on the W&L campus to cash checks. However, an ATM is located in the John W. Elrod University Commons in the area of the Cafe Emporium. Also, there are several banks within easy walking distance of the main campus. A listing of all area banks can be found by clicking here at Lexington Bank Information.

22.  What is the Auxiliary Services Fee? 
The auxiliary services fee is where the student has put money on their university card for general debit and/or food debit in our auxiliary services office.

23.  What if I have other questions? 
Phone: (540)-458-8730 Fax: (540)-458-8945 E-mail:

24.  Where can my student add general and/or food debit to their University Card?
Money can be added to the general and/or food debit in Auxiliary Services, Marketplace, Brief Stop, online  at eCard, or  the Business Office.

25.  My son/daughter is employee on campus where can they pick up their pay check?
Paychecks can be picked up in the Business Office, we encourage all student employees to sign up for direct deposit.  This makes it easier on the students and the money is readily available to them in their bank account.

26.  Can I pay my bill by wiring the money from my bank?

Yes, payment can be made by wiring the funds to the University.  We accept wires from the United States and from Foreign Banks.

Please contact the Business Office either by phone (540)458-8730 or by email to  You will be asked to provide your name along with the name, ID#, and home address of your student.