Details of the Leyburn Library Renovation
News Contact:Jeffery G. HannaExecutive Director of Communications and Public Affairsjhanna@wlu.edu(540) 458-8459
Lexington, Virginia • February 6, 2009
- Architectural firm: SFCS Inc., Roanoke, Va.
- Construction firm: Mathers Construction Team, Waynesboro, Va.
- Size: 30,000 square feet
- Added new entrance on the Elrod Commons side of the building.
- Removed front-office brick walls and replaced them with glass.
- Removed reference walls and offices from the center of the space and replaced them with central information desk and new offices.
- Added new information desk and new offices.
- Added new, glass-enclosed offices for staff.
- Removed reference stacks and returned them in a wave-like configuration that allows more light.
- Relocated VHSes and DVDs to make them accessible.
- Made the former staff elevator a public elevator.
- Made the former staff restrooms into public restrooms.
- Painted study niches a lighter color and enclosed them with sliding glass doors.
- Increased and conveniently located electrical outlets.
- Added computer access ports and enhanced wireless access.
- Recycled old carpet and installed new carpet made from recycled materials.
- Switched to technology that uses less toner and creates less waste, increased use of reusable/recyclable parts.
- Installed vending area/café with high tables for study and socializing.
- Centralized the functions of the Information Desk.