Five Rides in Lexington and Rockbridge County
These five rides offer a variety of terrain and scenery in Rockbridge County, ranging from flat to rolling to challenging rideable roads for all ability levels. These rides range from short excursions to longer forays into the surrounding countryside. For a longer list of rides, you can purchase the Outing Club Guidebook through the Outing Club, the University Bookstore or local booksellers and you can contact the school cycling team Team Traveller to schedule a ride with them.
Safety and Gear
Every sport has it's specific equipment. Cycling has many necessary and optional accessories to make your ride more enjoyable. Here is a short, but by no means comprehensive list:
Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.
- ANSI/Snell approved helmet is an absolute necessity
- Lightweight sunglasses, preferably with various lens choices depending on the weather
- Cycling jersey with rear pockets for food and supplies
- Cycling shorts with a padded seat (or chamois)
- Fingerless padded cycling gloves
- Clipless pedals and cycling shoes for comfort and efficiency
- Bottle Cage(s) to carry water bottles
- Extra tube, tools and pump or CO2 inflator
- Food and water on longer rides to prevent "bonking" or "hitting the wall"
- Cold weather gear such as arm warmers, leg warmers, hat and/or mask depending on conditions