Skip to:Main Content

Washington and Lee University

Washington and Lee University
Washington and Lee University Campus Image

Social Security Administration

Documents You Will Need To Apply For A Social Security Number Or International Tax ID Number

If you intend to work on or off campus, you will need a Social Security Number.

IMPORTANT: All J-1 students are eligible to apply for a SS Number. Only F-1 students who actually are employed by the university or have received EAD cards (Employment Authorization Documents) will be able to apply for a Social Security Number. Students who have work study assignments through the Financial Aid office and Teaching Assistants will be considered employed. Students who later find employment will need to apply for a Social Security Number at a later time. Visiting professors and scholars are considered employed.

Under regulations revised on October 13, 2004, social security numbers are now valid only for the time that you are legally in the US. If you were to leave the US and return later for employment at a later, you will keep the same number and they will just revalidate it. If you have been in the US before and had a Social Security Number, we will try to revalidate it.

When you apply for a Social Security number, please bring the following documentation with you:

  1. Passport
  2. Local address (can be a PO box or street address)
  3. I-20 or DS-2019 (stamped by immigration officer)
  4. SSA application (or you can pick one up there)
  5. Offer Letter from employer/paystub/EAD card—something to prove employment. Students who have been approved for work/study but have not yet begun employment will receive a letter from  the International Student Advisor verifying employment. IN ORDER TO APPLY FOR SS#, YOU MUST HAVE A START DATE WHICH IS NO MORE THAN 30 DAYS AFTER YOUR  APPLICATION .